Moina Macrocopa *(Free Live Food)*

So my moina macrocopa cultures are doing much better than expected. Easier to setup than brine shrimp and they move similiar to copepods. No aeration, just water changes if that. 

A water flea that can live in brackish conditions let's it live for hours in saltwater. Gutloaded with marine phyto to bring up the nutritional content.

I have a few containers with stagnant RODI water. First I harvest. Then I feed phytoplankton (Nannochloropsis/Tetraselmis) diluted to half strength with RODI once every other day.....if that. A substitute food would be yeast + sugar fermentation (few drops will suffice) + spirulna (needs to be stirred to keep in suspension). PNSB and PSB can be used as well but sparingly. 

If the culture crashes. Just dry it out completely. Collect the grunge and start again. The moina will come back from it. 

I hope to promote more reefers to do live feeding. Currently offering white worm and moina cultures for free. 

20230726_193428.jpg

20230725_200657.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

So my moina macrocopa cultures are doing much better than expected. Easier to setup than brine shrimp and they move similiar to copepods. No aeration, just water changes if that. 

A water flea that can live in brackish conditions let's it live for hours in saltwater. Gutloaded with marine phyto to bring up the nutritional content.

I have a few containers with stagnant RODI water. First I harvest. Then I feed phytoplankton (Nannochloropsis/Tetraselmis) diluted to half strength with RODI once every other day.....if that. A substitute food would be yeast + sugar fermentation (few drops will suffice) + spirulna (needs to be stirred to keep in suspension). PNSB and PSB can be used as well but sparingly. 

If the culture crashes. Just dry it out completely. Collect the grunge and start again. The moina will come back from it. 

I hope to promote more reefers to do live feeding. Currently offering white worm and moina cultures for free. 

20230726_193428.jpg

20230725_200657.jpg

Can I use these instead of rotifers for clown babies?