New Build Try try again

Stephen Sturges

So I have been putting in an effort to get back in the hobby.  I had a 375 Gallon reef in the 90's.  Things have changed a bit in the hobby and I am hoping to have an easier path to success.  Bubble Algae was my former dark neminis.   I just did not have the time to manage a 375 gallon bubble algae infestation in my past life.  Metal Halides and the chiller also results in a pretty steep monthly bill.  

Technology has progressed at lot so I hoping for success this time.   I am retired now so I have a bit more time to invest. 

Going smaller this time, the tank is custom roughly 180 Gallon peninsula.  The tank is custom by Crystal Dynamics.  The tank also sits right behind were my office chair sits to I an enjoy the tank all day long.  The former tank was in it's own room, some days I would not even see the tank.  Like my old tank the filtration system will be remote.

Sturges Reef Tank Design Page 1 of 2 V1.00.pdf

• Like 2

So here is my initial plan for the filtration system which is located on the first story below the tank location.  This is room which refer to as the lab.  It use to be my shop until I built a separate building.   The next image is of the rough placement.  The filtration system frame is built of an 8020 product called ready tube.  I make an drip tray out of HDPE which the filter system sits in.  Leak detectors on the APEX get alarmed if there is water in the tray and they system takes corrective actions.  I do not like having equipment in the sump for serviceability reasons.   This does increase the risk for leaks but I have alarms for that and other protections.  The sump is just a 40 breeder which I drilled for the external pumps.   If with this between heaters a few submersible pumps for UV, Chiller...  and the roller mat the sump is pretty full,  Enough room to add a algae scrubber however should I need one. 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 2