Microscope Time

obrien.david.j

Total side note, not sure if you saw the Reef Beef where he uses a magnet to remove the capsules from his artemia.  Might be worth trying the Sep-Art cysts just because that sounds like a fun way to use a magnet for a reef tank!

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutrition-Sep-Art-Separator-0-8-Ounces/dp/B07L3B2G9F/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sep-art%2Bcysts&qid=1681761148&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

2 hours ago, Krux said:

Total side note, not sure if you saw the Reef Beef where he uses a magnet to remove the capsules from his artemia.  Might be worth trying the Sep-Art cysts just because that sounds like a fun way to use a magnet for a reef tank!

Thanks, I'll check it out.   Oh, but wait... I recognize that cup he's holding.   It's exactly what I use to harvest my brine into.  

2 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Here’s a video I recorded of a pod under high magnification:

Your video has fantastic depth of field.  I haven't been able to reproduce that.   Any insights, or techniques to get better depth of field?

Obviously, I'm not a microscope guru.  I'm not even an experienced microscope driver.  Just a new microscope newbie.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Krux said:

https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutrition-Sep-Art-Separator-0-8-Ounces/dp/B07L3B2G9F/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sep-art%2Bcysts&qid=1681761148&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

21 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Thanks, I'll check it out.   Oh, but wait... I recognize that cup he's holding.   It's exactly what I use to harvest my brine into.  

Okay, I checked out the video over lunch.   I'm not sure I need to spend $20 for 0.88oz, when I'm currently spending $24 for 4oz.  (which is still high)   Plus, I actually think my system takes less time.   Did you see how many times he had to do the magnet thing to separate all the eggs.

I'm buying off amazon.   And if you're wondering why I'm not just buying BRS eggs, $12 for 1.75oz (when not on sale).   I was doing that.  And came across a jar or two that had noticeably lower hatch rates.  So I started trying various amazon offers.  And I only pick the highest %, as advertised, hatch rate eggs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TRK8JFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

Go bigger. They have 1lb containers with 90% hatch rate for $50 or less for standard brine. If you need SF strain then it is a little under $80 per lb.

Separating brine egg shells from naupli should be free if you think about it. 

Fair input.   I've been trying to not be wasteful.   But you're right.  Next time I'll just buy bigger, and keep the unused in the freezer.   Right now, I only bring out ~1.5oz at a time, and keep the rest in the fridge.    

8 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Your video has fantastic depth of field.  I haven't been able to reproduce that.   Any insights, or techniques to get better depth of field?

Obviously, I'm not a microscope guru.  I'm not even an experienced microscope driver.  Just a new microscope newbie.

I don't know of any specific settings to increase depth of field.  In my video, I was frequently adjusting the focus knob which changes the focal plane to show off the upper and lower structures of the subject, so perhaps that gave the illusion of greater depth of field.  The focal plane is a very thin layer, especially at higher magnification.  I think I was at 40x at the beginning of the video, then increased to 200x and 400x at the end.

• Like 1