Brown/Rust colored Alge Outbreak...Help

Kevinmc

Hey, new tank, about 3 weeks old, and I have brown/rust alge bad on the glass and rocks, what do I do. I put about 300 blue leg hermit crab in to eat the green alge, and it's gone, put about 50 more snails in and the alge was gone, but now coming back.

What it the deal? Too much light, water checks out great.

Kevin

Take it slow!

It's normal to go through several algae outbreaks at the start!

If you throw too many algae eaters in, they will starve when the algae is all gone, and their death might contribute to a worse outbreak.

What's in your tank besides the clean-up crew and a couple of fish?

How long are you running your lights?

And is it slime algae or a hairy type?

If you don't have any corals, you could leave the lights off for a few days and see if that helps.

New tanks usually go through several phases often including waves of cyanobacteria (brownish-red sheets of stringy goop), green algae of varying sorts (tiny mats of green grass, sheets of green semi-slimy stuff, green hair algae, bryopsis), diatoms (dusting of golden brown powder), and/or dinoflaggelates (often globs of brownish snot-like goop).

Part of the maturation process of a new tank is the development of a community microfauna that consume excess nutrients in the water column. A new tank either doesn't have these dudes or they are out of balance -- resulting in the Biblical aquarium plagues I mentioned above.

My approach to dealing with them is to vacuum out the goop and be patient; things will settle down over time. Some people dose sugar, or vodka, or cut the photoperiod, or dim the tank entirely for days at a time. Some companies sell products they claim remove the various slimes and goops, but I'd REALLY avoid them.. they're just antibiotics, and indiscriminately killing microbes actually slows the maturation process (imo)

Nothing good comes fast in this hobby; in other words, it's normal :)

I have a 90 GAL display with 45 GAL sump/refugium, with 120-130 pounds of live rock and 100 pounds of live sand. I a huge out break of green hair alge and it really was bad. so in went this blue leg hermits and snails to clean all of my rocks. That was cured in 24 hours, and snails cleanned house for about the same time. It is mostly gone now, but brown alge is really bad now, but getting better by the hour.

All live sand and live rock in my tank was already established from other tanks. Have no fear, when this tank is all cool and settled in, I am building another within 6-12 months, then i will remove what is not needed and add to the new bigger tank.

Thanks (clap)

Kevin

Even with established rock and sand you can experience a mini-cycle. Stuff on the rock could die-off while it is in transit between tanks, then that starts an ammonia spike, which kills of other stuff, which causes an ammonia spike... Each spike gets smaller, but it can still add a bunch of nutrients into the water column so the algae get some free fertilizer.

It does take several months to have this cycle of death and regrowth balance out. During this time you will have different forms of algae growth. Expect it, and enjoy them while they last.

Adding that many animals to combat a problem will cause much more of a problem later. Some of those hermits are likely to starve, when they die they will release nutrients... causing more algae. Let nature take it's course and everything will balance out in the end.

dsoz

Thank you for your reply to the alge issue, I understand that it is not abnormal, just concerning for a new saltwater hobbiest.

As for everones concern about adding too many animals, that is con a real concern for me, as I am buying more rock in the next few weeks and it will be fresh live rock to cycle from the get-go. I am planning to set-up a new tank besides my 90 GAL, I am planning to set-up a larger tank before summers end.

I am planning to build my own stand in my wood shop, it will be a room divider in my home. I am currently looking to a tank in the range of 6ft and larger then 125 GAL. for my family room. Anyway, more on that in the future.

Thanks for all of your help

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Algea is a fun issue isn't it? I myself have gone through some immense changes in my tank...all of the outbreaks, I think I have had them. Now the brown slime....cyano??? who knows...I peel it off the sand bed, day by day then every 3 to 4 weeks go with a "lights out program". It has cut down the outbreaks tremendously! I use RO/DI and everything is incheck...go figure! Another fun part of REEF keeping!

Kris

Had the same thing 2 months after my tank started. I just turned off the lights for a couple of days and let the cleaner crew do their job. I also reduced the fish feeding.

Its a cycle thing, it will go away as long as you do the right thing. Do not add any more cleaner crew, if they starve and die off it will add to your problem.

Nothing happens fast in the aquarium hobby, take your time and things will work out for the best.

Good Luck