The Difference a Skimmer and CO2 Scrubber Make!

shaywood

I have a CO2 monitor in the room and it's pretty surprising how much co2 levels go up when I'm home. It will go from 400ppm to 700ppm throughout the day. I use Kalk as much as possible and don't use a calcium reactor. I still see a ph raise when I'm not home. 

Checkout this Hydros graph where I was out of the house from 2/25 to 3/1

Screenshot_20230308_195721.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jtichenor said:

I have a CO2 monitor in the room and it's pretty surprising how much co2 levels go up when I'm home. It will go from 400ppm to 700ppm throughout the day. I use Kalk as much as possible and don't use a calcium reactor. I still see a ph raise when I'm not home. 

Checkout this Hydros graph where I was out of the house from 2/25 to 3/1

That's a pretty cool graph.   In my case, the sump and frag tanks are off the garage (which never has cars parked in it) and has a fan venting to the outside directly mounted in the wall.  Wonder what my CO2 levels are?

2 hours ago, shaywood said:

Interestingly, We have a CO 2 meter that rarely goes above 400. 

That surprises me due to the ph swing when the co2 scrubber was offline. You might want to recalibrate it as a quick check for accuracy.  Take it outside when calibrating like these instructions:

Screenshot_20230309_092531_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I used to question the reading, but would take it into the office and close the door while working. The reading would go up to 1000, so I know it works. 

I use a MH-Z19 NDIR CO2 Sensor. 

Edited by shaywood

Same here. I’m 3rd floor apartment and I burn through media on a closed loop. Main problem is too much moisture. I had a collection cup in line but I think I need another reactor full of mesh filter media. Without the co2 I’m 8.1 to 7.8 swings

1 hour ago, Hashbrown said:

Same here. I’m 3rd floor apartment and I burn through media on a closed loop. Main problem is too much moisture. I had a collection cup in line but I think I need another reactor full of mesh filter media. Without the co2 I’m 8.1 to 7.8 swings

I also ran a collection cup from a peanut container when I ran a co2 scrubber. It helped somewhat but ya, 100% humidity warm air entering a colder co2 scrubber will condensate out in the media.

Screenshot_20230309_123044_Photos.jpg

Edited by jtichenor