ICP Test Results

John Vinson

So I just got my ICP test results in and, as expected, my iodine levels are low and I'll start researching dosing options for that.  The report I got back from Triton also recommended dosing Boron, Strontium, and Molybdenum, Vanadium, and Manganese (Nickle and Zinc as well, but for "Fine Tuning" - whatever that means).  I just want to keep from bleaching killing every SPS that I get, so should I be good to go by dosing just the Iodine, or are my numbers bad enough with the other elements that Triton recommends that I should look at dosing all of them as well? 

425XL - November 3, 2022 (B-lZg2VW).pdf

I use the reef moonshiners system on my tank. https://www.reefmoonshiners.com/

Simple "send in a ATI ICP Sample", "type results into excel sheet", "follow directions of elements to add, or stop".

Ignore the branded chemicals/etc.  What I like is the Comment section of the excel sheet, that gives me perspective on what each ICP test result might mean.  (Optimal range/acceptable range - don't touch, slightly below target of X, Considered fully depleted - so something about it.   A value of zero is expected, because it's consumed so fast.  But you still need to add small amounts regularly...)

The recommended brand of ICP test is ATI (all written up in the handbook, on the website).  Never the less, I typed your values into the sheet - to see what the interpretation per element offered.

Of your readings, Iodine jumps out at me.  I don't like being this far out of range - it's considered depleted.  Everytime I've done this, my tank does bad stuff.     On my 350gallon system, I add two drop of Lugals liquid every day.    

BTW, I've been low on each of the items you flagged too.  And corrected them over the months.   

I offer this excel just as another way of interpreting the results.

reef_moonshiners_assessment_tool_rev.2 -- John Vinson Nov22.xlsx

32 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I use the reef moonshiners system on my tank. https://www.reefmoonshiners.com/

Simple "send in a ATI ICP Sample", "type results into excel sheet", "follow directions of elements to add, or stop".

Ignore the branded chemicals/etc.  What I like is the Comment section of the excel sheet, that gives me perspective on what each ICP test result might mean.  (Optimal range/acceptable range - don't touch, slightly below target of X, Considered fully depleted - so something about it.   A value of zero is expected, because it's consumed so fast.  But you still need to add small amounts regularly...)

The recommended brand of ICP test is ATI (all written up in the handbook, on the website).  Never the less, I typed your values into the sheet - to see what the interpretation per element offered.

Of your readings, Iodine jumps out at me.  I don't like being this far out of range - it's considered depleted.  Everytime I've done this, my tank does bad stuff.     On my 350gallon system, I add two drop of Lugals liquid every day.    

BTW, I've been low on each of the items you flagged too.  And corrected them over the months.   

I offer this excel just as another way of interpreting the results.

reef_moonshiners_assessment_tool_rev.2 -- John Vinson Nov22.xlsx 2.56 MB · 1 download

Thanks Dave!  I'm going to order some Iodine immediately (there are several kinds on Amazon though, which one are you using?).  I'm checking reefmoonshiners for some of the other elements I'm low on as well.  There are quite a few on the spreedsheet they recommend I dose (17 actually, and at $20 each, this can get crazy quickly.  Besides Iodine, are there any that you think I should prioritize?)  Also, how often did you send another ICP test in (once a month, or every few months?)  Thanks again!

iodine.jpg

Edited by John Vinson

Okay, revised answer.   Switch to Seachem Reef Iodide LIQUID.   bought mine on Amazon.     I used Lugols from BRS earlier, switched here at R.Moonshiner recommendation. (saying it's more consistent)

image.png

Looking at the list, here's my read of priority

1. iodine
  2. Molybdnum
  3. strontium

Nickel & Zinc - Mine has been low for 3 months, added the recommended amounts, still low.  Not sure what it means

Dailies - I believe my tank is looking better because I'm putting in five elements every ~day.  (miss a day or two, no big deal)   Drops are for my 350 gal system.

• iodine (2drops)
  • Iron (2drops)
  • Chrome (5drops)
  • Cobalt (5drops)
  • Manganese (27drops)

I feel I'm getting better results adding these at Smaller doses, more often.  (~daily) -- Per the manual.

For ICP testing, recommendation is ATI-ICP branded tests.  I send one is every ~month.  (usually becomes every 5 weeks)

BTW, dont want to spend $20/ea for iron/chrome/cobalt - come over again, I'll share some.  You will need dropper bottles.  (Got mine on Amazon)   You'll want this for the Iodine, so you can dose daily - if you go this route.

image.pngimage.png

image.png