Does anybody still do cabinetry for aquariums these days?

BaghdadBean

When I did mine two years ago, I couldn't find anyone with past skills in tank cabinet making.  So I sketched up what I wanted, with specific measurements, and started bringing in cabinet makers.   First one, was clueless.  Wanted to silicon glue braces to the top of the tank and all kinds of crazy crap.  Clearly just couldn't wrap his head around a wrap.  (pun intended).   Second one understood the concept, and filled in the blanks on how to skin a steel stand - without drilling into it.   (I hadn't figured that out).  

Here's the basic progression

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I've done a dozen or so diy stands. It all depends on materials.  For skinning, HD has 1/4 wood panels thatre 5x9ft? If i remember correctly.  Its about $27 a panel. I like to make my stands 1/2 bigger on each side. That way it sit in the middle of the 2x4s. But I mean its all up to you imagination and hand skills. Good luck!🤙 lol btw I just picked up a table saw finally.  Yay more possibilities lol 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:31 AM, obrien.david.j said:

When I did mine two years ago, I couldn't find anyone with past skills in tank cabinet making.  So I sketched up what I wanted, with specific measurements, and started bringing in cabinet makers.   First one, was clueless.  Wanted to silicon glue braces to the top of the tank and all kinds of crazy crap.  Clearly just couldn't wrap his head around a wrap.  (pun intended).   Second one understood the concept, and filled in the blanks on how to skin a steel stand - without drilling into it.   (I hadn't figured that out).  

Here's the basic progression

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks super sharp! I like the way your hood works too.  We’re going for kinda a more gritty steam punk meets forest by the sea aesthetic, but I really like how that sleek look gives life in your living room.  

On 10/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, islandVib3s said:

I've done a dozen or so diy stands. It all depends on materials.  For skinning, HD has 1/4 wood panels thatre 5x9ft? If i remember correctly.  Its about $27 a panel. I like to make my stands 1/2 bigger on each side. That way it sit in the middle of the 2x4s. But I mean its all up to you imagination and hand skills. Good luck!🤙 lol btw I just picked up a table saw finally.  Yay more possibilities lol 

I’ve been on the fence about a table saw for years.  We’re getting ready to do some major work in the house though, so I’m leaning harder towards biting the bullet and getting one before freight increases make them cost 1000% more than they already do.  We have about every other kind of saw.  I’m a rancher by trade though, not a carpenter, and I don’t mind saying that woodworking and structural engineering type stuff is a little intimidating to me.  Fences, goat sheds, and barn repair is one thing, something holding 3000 plus pounds of sloshing weight?  Yeah no I’m not trying to bluff that I’m that good. I wish I’d paid more attention when I was younger to my cousin Dale, he was a master woodworker and old school cabinet maker whose skills I really miss.  I don’t mind laying tile but I’m not confident enough in my math or my welding to try to make a stand without adult supervision.  Heh.   

Around here, those light 1/4” panels would quickly become kindling. We run a ranch, so our house has a constant stream of kids, large dogs skidding around, and annual seasonal invasions of bottle lambs or goat kids.  You ever see that scene in Bambi where the little deer hits the ice and all four legs go out and he skids around?  That’s my house every morning as our Dobermans  come thundering down the halls and around the corners once freed from the bedrooms of their respective favorite family members.  Multiply that by 3-8 when we’ve got bottle lambs in the house.  It’s adorable but terrifying.  Let’s just say we earthquake proofed this place BEFORE the earthquake actually hit.