WTB: Larger Sump or old acrylic tank

NateDawg

Hello, looking to buy a larger sump or tank something in the range around 40" x 24" x 20". Doesn't need to be pretty and could be a fixer-upper. Or if anybody has ideas for a sump that would fit those dimensions somewhat, I'd appreciate it! Thanks for looking!

Edited by NateDawg
Title change

On 2/4/2022 at 2:32 PM, NateDawg said:

Hello, looking to buy a larger sump, something in the range around 40" x 24" x 20". Doesn't need to be pretty and could be a fixer-upper. Or if anybody has ideas for a sump that would fit those dimensions somewhat, I'd appreciate it! Thanks for looking!

Chopping an acrylic tank or sump that's too big down to size isn't too bad.   I used a used 24x24x48" tank to make a ~39" sump out of.    You could start by looking for a 48" x 24" x 20" used tank, and chop it.   Yes, you have to be a bit handy.

Here's picts of my chop.  I also had to grind off twin external overflows, but thats not common.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Chopping an acrylic tank or sump that's too big down to size isn't too bad.   I used a used 24x24x48" tank to make a ~39" sump out of.    You could start by looking for a 48" x 24" x 20" used tank, and chop it.   Yes, you have to be a bit handy.

Here's picts of my chop.  I also had to grind off twin external overflows, but thats not common.

Good idea! I do have a few pieces of half inch acrylic and some weld-on that I can use to make baffles.

• NateDawg changed the title to WTB: Larger Sump or old acrylic or glass tank

I was recently looking  for a sump and ended up buying a kit on ebay that allows you to convert a regular aquarium into a sump. I think a 40 breeder is close to the dimensions you are looking for and  you can do the same I did with a kit to convert the aquarium. 

here is a pic of mine. 

7A91EECC-4D4B-41DE-A398-B90F19CF9465.jpeg

8FD97212-809D-45D8-8EDF-70109EF65BBC.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB92 said:

I was recently looking  for a sump and ended up buying a kit on ebay that allows you to convert a regular aquarium into a sump. I think a 40 breeder is close to the dimensions you are looking for and  you can do the same I did with a kit to convert the aquarium. 

here is a pic of mine. 

7A91EECC-4D4B-41DE-A398-B90F19CF9465.jpeg

8FD97212-809D-45D8-8EDF-70109EF65BBC.jpeg

I've seen those, yours looks great! That might be what I end up with. I'm hoping to find something just a bit longer to accommodate the compartment dimensions that I have in mind. The standard 75 gallon could possibly work for my needs.

• NateDawg changed the title to WTB: Larger Sump or old acrylic tank