Help with protein skimmer selection

pledosophy

Ive owned the ER, the ASM G-2 and the Reef Octopus/Pacific Coast skimmer. Hands down the winner is the ER. If you are into modding and fussing with stuff, the Reef octopus CAN be a good skimmer. With the ER you will not have to mess with anything and it will do a great job. Last and least, the ASM....cheap, loud and didnt work well.

I have the Octopus NW150....love it! Next time I will take pics of my skimmate to compare with Impur's! Nice thing is that it was right for the price and works great! I really like the ease of adjusting the skimming...up with the tube and it is wet, down with the tube, and its dry...no problem with restarts either.

Kris

Here is a pretty good thread, if you decide on the Octo, to get it pulling 40scfh. None of the skimmers you are looking at will pull near that amount of air.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1284642&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

But as Dan stated, you'd have to do the modding. And i'd agree with him on ER being the best right out of the box.

Can you get it to 40schf? I don't know is why i ask. I've never read of someone getting 40schf with an ER or ASM. Probably cuz you don't need to, since they are great right out of the box. Just curious.

The octo pumps are perfect to accomplish this.

He's getting that 40SCHF(1135LPH) with a 65w pump, and meshwheel. The Sedra 3500 that comes with a RS80 is only 35w Stock it pulls 420 LPH with a needlewheel. I don't have a meter yet, but I'll see what my 3500 does when I get the right meter.

I also have a pair of Sedra 5000 (50w) (720LPH) stock that I will mod soon.

If you're going to be at the meeting Sunday, bring your meter. I have a slightly modified 3500(venturi mod) with needlewheel to test.

If not, I will pick one up soon, and post my results.

FWIW, I like the octo skimmers too. Besides the pumps, the only thing I don't care for is the transition at the neck. It's a little too sharp for me. ER's have a rounded transition at the neck.

I won't be at the meeting :( But when you do get your meter let me know your results, i'm very interested. I'm running my skimmer at 48w and getting 18-20 scfh (depends on which was the impeller starts up) and I'm very satisfied. I could do some more reaming to get it higher, but its doing fine so why mess with it.

I had thought about buying a Sedra and testing it out. I hear good things about those pumps. I modded a GenX 4100 for the hell of it a few months ago. I think these pumps have great potential, if it weren't for that rust problem. Anyway i had meshmodded it and just used a jimmy rigged venturi and it pulled 17scfh, i was impressed considering i had only spent 5 minutes modding it. There is a huge thread on this pump over on RC, i think guys are getting way more than 40 out of it. I lost track after the 2nd or 3rd split.

Have you had any experience with the aquabee pumps??

Nyles - you can borrow it anytime man. I should have brought it down last weekend.

Doubling the stock LPH is pretty good, I'm guessing I doubled mine with my mod. I haven't used the mesh on my sedras yet, but I haven't had any extra mesh. I also like the way my skimmer skims with the needlewheel.

The Sedra's aren't that far off from the Gen-x. The sedra 3500 and the gen-x 2400 are identical. I think the only differences on the sedra is the potting is better and they don't have the "stainless" steel heat sink that usually rust out.Gen-x dips the "stainless"steel heat sink in epoxy to keep it from rusting but they still rust after that stuff flakes off. The needle wheel is different for both but the sedra ER/ASM needlewheel is far better. I think the magnet is balanced a little better also.

I'll pick up my own meter and a killawatt soon.

There are a ton of better pumps out there, but I'm waiting a year or so to try them out.

I have a Eheim 1262 meshmod that's for my new tanks skimmer (ER 8-5) and I can't wait to see what it'll do. I would like to try out a 1048 for my smaller ER (5-3) but haven't had the extra funds for that yet.

pledosophy,

I think whichever one you get you will be happy. Needlewheel skimmers are very good.

I agree, needles are great, mesh modding helps alot too. I "like" (thats about the best rating I give for a fishtank product) the sedra I have alot, for a gereric pump I could not be much happier. Now if they came with Eheims.. I would be ecstatic...

The Sedras are ok pumps for skimmers but there are a lot better pumps out there. I was never happy with the amount of air they pull compared to the power they use. The ehiems are a lot better then the Sedras. Also the Hagan utility pumps are really good for modding...