Help with protein skimmer selection

pledosophy

So, I think I'm going to really try my hand at keeping a mixed LPS and SPS tank. My first order of business is to get a protein skimmer. I have tried the cheap little remora, not into it (pulls out next to nothing). So I am looking to get something for my 65g.

Currently I am only running a 20g refugium with the Remora for filtration. I'm fairly happy with how the tank is running now. Levels are great. But it would be cool to have the option of going from a lightly stocked tank (IMO 3 fish in a 65g leopard wrasse, bi color blenny, pink spotted watchman) to a more moderately stocked, and dare I say heavy bio load. I'll go slow. Also haven't found many SPS heads without skimmers, so there has to be something there.

I am looking at the Aquamedic Turboflotor, the CPR Bak Pak, and the Euro Reef RS 80. Any other option I'm missing. The PM's might also be an option.

I wouldn't mind spending up to $300 or so, would be better to spend less of course. I don't want to buy something i will not be happy with in a few months or a year or so. Have done that to many times.

I think I have the rest down alright. Added a MJ 900 mod. Might add a MJ 1200 also. Have a CL which pushes 800 gph mostly through spraybars under the rock. The return pump pushes about 300 gph. So that would put me at about 4700 gph. I can add the loc line things to increase flow from some of the returns as well to bump it up more. Because of the wrasse, I need to be able to keep sand. Would like to get a jaw fish down the line as well. Will be going with T5 lighting, just cuz I already have them on that system. Plan to keep the SPS in the top half or so anyhoo. Let the LPS live on the bottom.

Sorry for the long question. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Out of the choices you listed, go for the euro-reef. They are tried and true, and built very well. I have a few euro-reefs, and I have used ASM, PM, and AquaC. All are good skimmers, but the convenience and ease of use goes to the euro-reef. ASM's are pretty good too, but I would buy a used euroreef instead.

I got an octopus NW 150 for my 65 gallon. It is similar in design to the other needlewheels. I would recommend it, especially for the money. If you go this way, I would also recommend you get (or make) the gate valve mod. The adjustment tube was difficult to get right consistently. It's a little tight under a 65 gal (takes up a bunch of sump room), so if space is a concern, you might consider a smaller sized recirc model.

Just as I remarked, bigger the better, if you feed phyto or other types of products just shut it off for a bit. An overkill skimmer will only reduce your maintenance. I used to want to think I did not want to skim to much to take out the good stuff, but with overskimmed tanks I see cleaner and more successful systems.

I got an octopus NW 150 for my 65 gallon. It is similar in design to the other needlewheels. I would recommend it' date=' especially for the money. If you go this way, I would also recommend you get (or make) the gate valve mod. The adjustment tube was difficult to get right consistently. It's a little tight under a 65 gal (takes up a bunch of sump room), so if space is a concern, you might consider a smaller sized recirc model.[/quote']

I second the Octopus skimmers. I have the NW200. I would put it up against any of the GSM or Euroreef skimmers after 3 mods are done to it: meshwheel, bore out exit elbow, and redo the venturi.

dscn0087.jpg

dscn0085.jpg

dscn0086.jpg

Thats 4 days of skimmate.

Skimmate - its whats for dinner! (laugh)

Octo's look kinda cool to.

FJDog, do you have the recirculating 150 or the regular one?

Any one think the recirculating one is worth an extra hundred bucks? I already have a T on my return so could use it as a feed pump, and kind of like that you can run it out of sump as well.

So I'm researching while posting and just saw the Octopus 150 Recir is the same as the Pacific Coast Imports 2000 if that helps.

Right now my options seem to be a

Octopus 150 Recir/Pacific Coast Imports 2000 for $320 (shipped)

Pacific Coast Imports 1000 recir for $220 (shipped)

Euro Reef RS 80 for $265 (shipped)

DAS ex-1 used for $225 and a 4 hour drive

I still have a local guy to talk to too.

BTW what is lmp? How important is it?

I'm gonna go look through some reefkeeping issues to see if I can learn some more.

Octo's look kinda cool to.

FJDog, do you have the recirculating 150 or the regular one?

Any one think the recirculating one is worth an extra hundred bucks? I already have a T on my return so could use it as a feed pump, and kind of like that you can run it out of sump as well.

Mine is the regular one (non-recirc). I think if I had it to do over again, I might consider recirc because you can squeeze more out of a smaller footprint and also potentially less noise, because you are running a smaller pump. Other than that, I have no first hand experience on the benefits of one vs another. Just for reference, I think I got mine for $125 plus shipping, so there is a pretty big price difference. Also, I like the threaded scum cup. It is great for height-challenged stands; might be a feature to look for.

You're welcome.

If you start leaning towards the euroreef, you better hurry. They won't last long at that price. Well worth it.

When I went to the site not from the link they were selling for $238 and out of stock. You're right they went fast. LOL

I'm not looking to buy one for another couple weeks. Just researching ahead so I'm not sorry later. Read a few great articles today as well.

That is so weird. I still get $238 and out of stock. huh. That makes no sense.

I'm planning on waiting a few weeks to order. I need to learn more first. We'll see what the price of the ER is then if that's the one I go for. Kinda leaning towards one of the recir ones. From what I have been reading they allow for longer contact time with the shorter skimmer. Still a lot to learn.

Thanks for the directions.