Please help

Iceoflife23

Looks like it could be slime algae.   

check nitrates and phosphates

reduce or eliminate feeding

ensure skimmer is running

reduce or eliminate photoperiod for a few days. 

try to siphon as much out as you can

if you’re religious...pray hard.

don’t worry. Pretty much every person on here has had it before and will again. 

Does it go away at night? If it does you might want to look into dinoflagellates. I had it and it looked very similar. Lack of Po4 and No3 caused it in my tank. It disappeared at night and came back during the day. 
just another thing to consider. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have looked at night and I can still see it on the sand bed so I’m not totally sure, I have heard the same thing, that’s why I posted on here to see if anyone has experienced the same thing and how they tackled it. I have tried siphoning it all and it just comes back. Thanks for all the help

I dealt with a cyano and dyno outbreak almost a year ago. Here were my steps on how I tackled them 

1. Introduced Phytoplankton (Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast). Can easily be bought at your local fish store 

2. Introduced Beneficial Bacteria ( Microbacter 7, Tim's Waste Away, and Vibrant). Bought on Bulk Reef Supply. Follow instructions on bottle closely. 

3. Syphoned all the Cyano and Dinos every 2-3 days by attaching a filter sock @ the end of the siphon tube. The filter sock collected all the cyano/dino and was later soaked in a bucket with Vinegar then washed. 

4. Started introducing frozen food instead of pellets. Depending on the pellet foods that you are using, if any, this could be increasing you phosphates and nitrates to undesirable level.

I avoided the typical routine of messing with trying to dial in nitrates and phosphates. I figured that the bad bacteria has taken over and it was time to introduce good bacteria to outcompete the bad bacteria. Also, you phosphate and nitrate levels aren't too high to warrant any sort of problem. Well maybe decrease you nitrates to 1-3 PPM

With this strategy, I was able to completely get rid of cyano/dinos within 1.5 months. Just know that this outbreak took months to develop and  to show up and you should expect it to take just as long or longer to get rid off. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Its_cchan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1