Eheim heater condensation issue, pondering controller

bler

Hi Folks,

So my Eheim heater was fully submerged since I purchased it (June 2020) and the other day I heard a battle between the chiller and heater so I dug into the sump to see what was going on.  I found out that there was a bit of condensation in it and it seemed to be inconsistent so I pulled it and replaced it with a cheapy aqueon adjustable in there (which is actually keeping temp better than the Eheim, go figure :D )

Anyone else have issues like this with Eheim? I have used them in the past without any issues,  I've sent an email to their customer support to see if they will repair/replace i but would like to see what other options there are or what others think.

My considerations are that I would like a controller but I've got a pretty small system so space is sort of an issue but I guess I could fit another probe and controller on the rig.  I do also just like a heater that has onboard temp control and is just a drop in.

I guess my question is does anyone have any recommendations for heaters with built in controls?  Or is it better to just suck it up and drop the money and make the space for a controller, especially since I have a chiller and a controller would be a good way to manage both? 

• Like 1

I have had many years of good luck with the aqueon pro, shatterproof heaters:

They seem very accurate.  On tanks with APEX, APEX has its back.  On tanks without APEX, inkbird has its back.  Too many horror stories to not have a backup it seems like!

That inkbird can even alarm if the temp goes out of bounds, pretty cool for such a low cost device.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquarium-Heater-Black-Multi/dp/B07L1M7454/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=aqueon%2Bheater&qid=1600900497&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRzNISUFON1czM0RFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTUxOTQ2M0tHNEYySlJPSkxXMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDM5OTQxM09VQ0kyUFBMRDdBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1