Giant marine hermit crabs!!!

xxkenny90xx

They had a huge one of these at The Premium Aquarium in Salem a few months ago. They told me he was bought and then returned a few days later because he kept wrecking everything in the tank.

Definitely really cool to see though.

Edited by SliderXC
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SliderXC said:

They had a huge one of these at The Premium Aquarium in Salem a few months ago. They told me he was bought and then returned a few days later because he kept wrecking everything in the tank.

Definitely really cool to see though.

Yep I believe that. How big was it? Mine has an 8" shell currently. Ya they will constantly make sandstorms sifting sand and eat any and everything added (fish,corals,inverts). Ive got some damsels that live with him that are doing pretty good, although oddly enough they disappear on occasion (maybe they do the nemo thing and find a drain to the ocean?). Also some other hermits that he tries to kill but they usually suvive by hiding in their shells.

49 minutes ago, xxkenny90xx said:

Yep I believe that. How big was it? Mine has an 8" shell currently. Ya they will constantly make sandstorms sifting sand and eat any and everything added (fish,corals,inverts). Ive got some damsels that live with him that are doing pretty good, although oddly enough they disappear on occasion (maybe they do the nemo thing and find a drain to the ocean?). Also some other hermits that he tries to kill but they usually suvive by hiding in their shells.

I don’t know exactly how big he was, but he was huge!

• Like 1

Probably a Dadanus Megistos, the breaker of reef worlds, stripping all life from the very rocks beneath its feet.

Want your tank to start from scratch all over again? This is your ticket.

Very cool looking though, I have seen bright oranges and yellows out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, badxgillen said:

Probably a Dadanus Megistos, the breaker of reef worlds, stripping all life from the very rocks beneath its feet.

Want your tank to start from scratch all over again? This is your ticket.

Very cool looking though, I have seen bright oranges and yellows out there.

Such an awesome post! I may have to quote this one from time to time. Hey not all life, this golf ball sized hermit rides our giant hermit almost everyday! Of course Tamatoa does try to grab him from time to time. But ya, this tank is less like a reef and more like the hunger games

20200812_161716_HDR.jpg

Edited by xxkenny90xx
  • Like 1

Haha. I’m surprised someone has went ahead and gotten one. 

I don’t even keep regular hermits anymore. Although, I am considering a blue spiny lobster at some point, but I hear they have a tendency to knock everything down and I’m already kinda getting tired of my urchins and my trigger doing that.

Edited by LadAShark