Bacterial bloom question

Nicknjo

Hey yall,

So my tank has been fishless cycling for just shy of 3 weeks now. No lights whole time used dr Tim's one and only for bacteria and raw table shrimp for food. About a day or 2 after the cycle started my water got cloudy and has been ever since. Turned skimmer on about a week in and its producing light skimate. Tried a bag of carbon in the filter sock cup which seemed to help mildly for a day or two. Did a 15% water change last week also with no change. Tank is reading less than .25 ammonia or less using api test and 5.0 nitrate which I'm not to worried about as I doing the 4 month brs hybrid cycle. I'm convinced this is a bacteria bloom because tank is bare bottom with dry rock. Any suggestions as to something I should be doing or should I just keep weathering the storm and hope it clears eventually? Thanks f8fc1036233b0aa148b7449a64d14570.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

it'll run it's course. Convenient you have no fish; no worries about oxygen deprivation. You'll probably spend a quarter of your time in the next year with a bloom like this if I've done a decent job of tracking how people do with BB and dry rock.

I'd strongly recommend a persistent regimen of dosing bacteria all through the first year. Dr Tim's was a great place to start, but I'd buy just about everything you can find. Brightwell's MB7, MB CLEAN, Dr Tim's Refresh, Dr Tim's Waste-away, ReefBrite's Live Rock Enhance,  Seachem's Pristine, Prodibio, anything, everything. During the fishless period (when the bloom can't hurt anything), I'd keep dosing one of them every day, mixing it up to different stuff so it gets a variety. Once there are fish in there, I'd mostly do the same, but when a bloom happens, drop in an airstone and stop dosing bacteria until it's cleared up. 

I'd make sure to ghost feed something once or twice a week; you're trying to get that biofilm as rich as possible. You might stick a Brightwell XPORT-BIO block in the sump to try to make up for the sand's surface area.

Oh, and if API shows less than 0.25 ammonia, it's probably zero.  You can pick up a seachem ammoalert badget, they last a year and more sensitive than the test kit.

• Like 2

it'll run it's course. Convenient you have no fish; no worries about oxygen deprivation. You'll probably spend a quarter of your time in the next year with a bloom like this if I've done a decent job of tracking how people do with BB and dry rock.
I'd strongly recommend a persistent regimen of dosing bacteria all through the first year. Dr Tim's was a great place to start, but I'd buy just about everything you can find. Brightwell's MB7, MB CLEAN, Dr Tim's Refresh, Dr Tim's Waste-away, ReefBrite's Live Rock Enhance,  Seachem's Pristine, Prodibio, anything, everything. During the fishless period (when the bloom can't hurt anything), I'd keep dosing one of them every day, mixing it up to different stuff so it gets a variety. Once there are fish in there, I'd mostly do the same, but when a bloom happens, drop in an airstone and stop dosing bacteria until it's cleared up. 
I'd make sure to ghost feed something once or twice a week; you're trying to get that biofilm as rich as possible. You might stick a Brightwell XPORT-BIO block in the sump to try to make up for the sand's surface area.
Oh, and if API shows less than 0.25 ammonia, it's probably zero.  You can pick up a seachem ammoalert badget, they last a year and more sensitive than the test kit.
Thanks, I currently have a marine pure block in the sump and have a brightwell xport block and a bottle of mb7 arriving Tuesday. Should I pull the shrimp I have in there out in the mean time and start lightly ghost feeding or leave it in till it's gone then start?

• Like 1

Had a buddy who started a tank and ended up with a cloudy system like that. It stayed for a long time and wouldn't go away even after doing heavy water changes. He put a small UV sterilizer in his sump, and the cloudiness went away and hasn't been back since.

• Like 2

Had a buddy who started a tank and ended up with a cloudy system like that. It stayed for a long time and wouldn't go away even after doing heavy water changes. He put a small UV sterilizer in his sump, and the cloudiness went away and hasn't been back since.
I have considered it. As indiscriminate as they are though at this stage I'm concerned it would kill all the bacteria good and bad hence nullifying my cycle

I have considered it. As indiscriminate as they are though at this stage I'm concerned it would kill all the bacteria good and bad hence nullifying my cycle

Nullify is probably too strong a word, but in a system this new, I think you want all the bacteria you can get. If you can stand to be patient, I'd recommend you just wait

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nullify if probably too strong a word, but I'm a system you new, I think you want all the bacteria you can get. If you can stand to be patient, I'd recommend you just wait

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

All the time in the world. I was just trying to stay on top of it if it was an issue.

• Like 1

A decent UV would clear that up in a day or two. Once the ammonia is all gone it should clear up pretty quickly. While there is certainly bacteria in your water column, running a UV will do very little to slow down your cycle.

People love to debate about UV, but in a closed system, it is a good way to keep some of the bad stuff at bay. Sure, it may decrease some good things as well, but has been proven to keep harmful bacteria numbers down.

No sand??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

A decent UV would clear that up in a day or two. Once the ammonia is all gone it should clear up pretty quickly. While there is certainly bacteria in your water column, running a UV will do very little to slow down your cycle.

People love to debate about UV, but in a closed system, it is a good way to keep some of the bad stuff at bay. Sure, it may decrease some good things as well, but has been proven to keep harmful bacteria numbers down.

No sand??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm cool with waiting it out. I've pulled the shrimp in the hope eliminate the food and the cloud will dissipate. I'll start ghost feeding when its cleared up. Uv is not in the budget at the time. Still gotta get quaranteen setup and the list goes on..... yes I went bare bottom. Wife really wants sps so seemed like the best option to avoid sand storms from the flow. Also I love the look of the coral encrusted bottom.

Just an update, tank is about 75% clearer. Taking out the shrimp and turning the skimmer back on seemed to do the trick never should have shut it off. Anyway fish will be goin in QT end of next week so it's got 4-6 more weeks empty, should I add a little ammonia every now and then to keep the bacteria count up till then. I stopped feeding it to starve the hetotrophic bacteria cloud.

5 minutes ago, Nicknjo said:

Suppose I have to eventually anyway. Maybe I'll toss a few snails in there in the mean time once I start feeding so it dosent get to crazy

A couple is probably fine, but if you're just putting in a couple flakes, they may just starve to death. The lights are off, right? so no herbivores, you could potentially get one or two detrivores, but they may just starve...you're trying to feed bacteria, not animals.

That's gonna happen at first. Sounds like your know what you're doing though so I'll not go into basics. I'm assuming you're doing a version of the wwc method? You're going to be behind every tank with sand for the first year, but obviously exponentially better than a sand bottom tank after that. As far as your bacterial issue, it will subside soon with what they are saying to do. 

Here's my tank, I'm at about 3 months right now, and I used aquatop clear magic to clear up my beginning cloudiness from bacteria/diatoms. I ghost fed used fritz zymere, and did a 10% water change every week, after the first 2 weeks and throughout the process.  I also ran low lights for 8hrs the first month and then threw fish in at week 6 with another fritz zyme treatment, and switched lights to my ai prime 16hd, which is now running. 

Send more pics when you get it stocked!

15845546350803652728899774919115.jpg

15845547449493732680723719168603.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:23 PM, Burningbaal said:

I use Brightwell’s Microbacter clean and Microbacter 7. The Clean is more of a scavenger bacteria but both of them used together work very well. To cycle a tank, I prefer to do a fishless one. I’ve used Brightwell’s Start XLM with good results. Its very potent and can also withstand large temperature swings which is great for storage.