Phosban

Jay

Since phosban is ferric oxide hydroxide has anyone ever tried useing something like this instead?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iron-Oxide-Ferric-Red-Lab-Chemical-Five-Lbs_W0QQitemZ270192152870QQihZ017QQcategoryZ413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know this is not what to use but shouldnt we be able to find something similer that is reef safe and does the job much cheaper then phosban. I just think that 15-20 bucks a month for phosban changing is 20 bucks a month to much? Anyone ever tried to make their own stuff? We make cal and carbonate to dose. Use Pickling lime, Cant we find something else? Or am I just changing my phosban to often? I have a 120 gallon tank and am useing a 150 gram container everytime I change it. Since I dont have a hanna labs meter to moniter my phosphates and the salifert kit is considered not sensitive enough I am just changing it when I do the carbon.

Jay

Ya I would guess that is too fine of a powder to use. It would probably blow through the reactor and out into the tank.

I have called 2 chemical supply houses trying to buy ferric hydroxide but they dont even have it in there books as a "chemical". I wonder if there are other uses for it that we could tap into.

What is listed there is just rust. Iron oxide is not the same as iron oxide hydroxide. I would not recommend putting rust in your tank. Even if it is in a reactor.

iron (III) oxide, hydrated (FeO(OH)) is listed in a chemical supply book (Aldrich fine chemicals) for 50 grams at $44.80, or 250 grams at $169.80. It is 30-50 mesh and catalyst grade.

I don't know how much you use when you are changing your media, but it seems cheeper to use the phosban.

Doesn't it change color as it reacts??? can't you tell by looking at the color whether it needs to be replaced? Each month seems like it is being changed A LOT! But since I don't have a phos-reactor (yet) I don't know the answers to these questions.

dsoz

How often should I change out the 150 grams of phosban in my 120 gallon tank if I dont have the hanna phosphate meter to do a low test. Just to be safe how often. I know it depends on bioload and feeding and howmuch sand but isnt there a general schedual I could follow? I just want my corals nice and bright....really trying here. I have my Cal up at 400 - 420 the Alk at 8 - 11 DKH and my MAG is around 1300 and dosing to 1400 now. zero nitrates and phosphates with my salifert test kits. I have been feeding some stuff I blended up for my fish with fresh seafood. Plenty of flow......what else is there? My temp is always stable. Carbon is changed out every 3 weeks. I am in my second month running phosban. Mabey I need to give them more time. I have Ushio 10000k 250 watt halides on 7 hours a day and 2 110 watt URI actinics going 10 hours a day

Frustrating

I am not sure how much phosban is but Phoslock is Ferrick Oxide and is only 7 bucks for 150 grams and 49.00 for 1135 grams...so say 55.00 bucks with shipping. so 1135grams/150grams = 7.5 (so this would be total months it would last swapping out 150grams) so call it 8 months. So ($)55/8 (months) = $6.8, call it 7 bucks a month. That is way better then 20 a month and you are able to swap out once a month like you are doing now... Here is a link to where you can get it for 48.00 bucks...

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/searchhomekeyresult5.asp?offset=30

I am not sure how much phosban is but Phoslock is Ferrick Oxide and is only 7 bucks for 150 grams and 49.00 for 1135 grams...so say 55.00 bucks with shipping. so 1135grams/150grams = 7.5 (so this would be total months it would last swapping out 150grams) so call it 8 months. So ($)55/8 (months) = $6.8, call it 7 bucks a month. That is way better then 20 a month and you are able to swap out once a month like you are doing now... Here is a link to where you can get it for 48.00 bucks...

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/searchhomekeyresult5.asp?offset=30

Bigalsonline.com had the 1135 grams on sale a few weeks ago for 19.99. I picked some up and am using it. No noticable changes yet.