Ghettotastic Office Tank!

spipedong

Here's what I'm working on for my office.

Disclaimer: I suck at carpentry.

The tank will be either a 20H or 20L. The tall piece of plywood off to the right side is a place holder. Basically that is the side that will be touching the wall and I will be using the extra room on that side to hide plumbing and wires.

Here's a quick sketch of finished product:

Disclaimer: Plan not final, subject to change. May not be available in all areas. See store for details.

lol.jpg

And here's a quick progression up to this point:

IMG_0786.sized.jpg

IMG_0788.sized.jpg

IMG_0791.sized.jpg

IMG_0792.sized.jpg

IMG_0795.sized.jpg

IMG_0797.sized.jpg

IMG_0798.sized.jpg

IMG_0799.sized.jpg

The hidden plumbing/whateverthecrap idea is now scrapped. I got a good deal on a 30G long from dstoneburg last night, so it takes up the entire surface of the stand.

I made it 36" just in case I did something like this and changed my mind at the last second.

I'll have the LFS drill the tank today for (2) 1" bulkheads in the bottom. I would do it myself, but I don't have the cajones or the tools for drilling glass.

Not to get this nice thread off topic but Yenna I have a tank at my office 30 minutes from work, its only a 23 gallon but its worth the little bit of trouble it is to have it here. The biggest hassle is water changes since I have to bring the water from home. Everything else is not an issue.

I will follow the story of this ghettotastic office tank and perhaps it shall be the inspiration for mine own. (laugh) Didn't mean to get the thread side-tracked and I don't want to further off topic it but Nyles, I have to ask you, Nyles, have we met before, Nyles? (whistle) :)

Tonight's Progress:

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

I'm not skilled and I don't even try so my stuff always has the same generic basic look, but I'm excited to make a little more progress.

What's the recommended method for bonding acrylic to glass? I know silicone doesn't work very well. The entire right side of the tank will be converted into an overflow box.

Tonight's update:

I reconsidered the acrylic overflow box, and decided to try something crazy as you will see.

Pretty much just roughed in the plumbing and overflow tonight.

I think I may win "simplest drain" on this one, although its canceled out by "most complicated return plumbing :P.

The upper return plumbing is going to have more T's and an adjustable nozzle of some sort on each T. I plan to have two on the "back wall" and one on the "left. The tank is actually intended to sit perpendicular to the wall (i.e the right side will be touching the wall, the back side is next to my desk and the front side faces the door/window.)

Without further chat, here are more pics:

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

looks nice. you may wanna consider a 45 elbow on the drain to kill some of the falling water noise. there was another tank on here recently with a similar drain. It was a 30 gallon cube i believe. maybe someone else has a link. The guy used a similar looking piece of pvc for the drain but he cut teeth into the edges for surface skimming and dropped a bulkhead screen into the opening to kill the noise. HTH.

Tank is in the house. They're still working on building my office so this'll be its location for a month or two.

Moved over some water and picked up some nice live rock tonight. The light is temporary until I move my halide over. That light is only the crappy stock 24 watt N.O fluorescent.

IMG_0875.jpg

And just for fun, here's my clown with what he thinks is his home. The xenia is less than pleased :)

IMG_0870.jpg

looks nice. you may wanna consider a 45 elbow on the drain to kill some of the falling water noise. there was another tank on here recently with a similar drain. It was a 30 gallon cube i believe. maybe someone else has a link. The guy used a similar looking piece of pvc for the drain but he cut teeth into the edges for surface skimming and dropped a bulkhead screen into the opening to kill the noise. HTH.

I was wondering about the noise factor. Could a "sock" filter be attached to the opening work to cut down on noise? You would have to change out the filter a lot but at least you'll cut back on the debris going through your tank.