Generators

DarkAngel

Well I’m reminded once again, as we lost power today that we are heading into winter. I still don’t have any power backup in case of outages and with my increased travel schedule, REALLY should have something in place. So what does everyone have, recommend? I’ve got a 180 gallon with 2 smaller tanks plumbed into it, a 29 and 25 gallon, plus sump. I’m doing this on my own now so simplicity is key! Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple? I'd buy a portable generator with a 15amp 110v output (around 2000 continuous watts would probably be about right) and a thick 15 amp extension cord long enough to reach from your tank to the generator outside.
When you lose power, turn on the generator, plug whatever surge protector you need most (or apex, etc) into that extension cord until power comes back. Make sure a couple good power heads and a heaters are part of that. Skimmer and return pump if you can.

Better? That's a long list, but melev used to have a good answer with the extension cord wired to an outlet so he could just move the plug. Better yet would be multiple 15A circuits to make sure you can power everything. Really good is a full generator that lets you keep the house warm and everything else, potentially a "whole house" generator with manual interlock.
Best is a "whole house" generator with an automatic interlock (comes on when it notices the grid go down), but that's several grand.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

By simple, I meant something I can easily figure out how to hookup myself. After reading that I feel like I might want to just break the tank down [emoji23]. Also, this would be so when I’m gone something kicks in to keep minimal jets and heaters going. So I don’t lose my fish and eel. I don’t have hardly any coral. It’s not my house, so just looking for something to get my fish safe (in my bedroom) til the power came back on, which hopefully would be soon.

Ah, while you're gone is different. There are basically two options that work with no human involvement.
1. A whole house generator with automatic interlock, installed and permitted with a professional. It does all the work for you. Most run off propane or natural gas.
2. Battery backup for specific devices (key powerheads, usually...heater if it'll be a while). Most high end powerhead companies make one for their system, some people use ones meant for a computer. The computer ones work, but usually won't last as many hours because their designed different. You can diy battery backup to cover several pieces of gear, but it sounds like that's out of the question.

I'd say you get a battery backup from ecotech for a vortech that agitates the surface.

But a portable generator and an extension cord isn't very technical if you can use a lawn mower...and it can last many days if you don't run out of gas

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarkAngel said:

Thanks. I think battery backup is what we talked about last year. Thanks for the info. I’ll check out those companies.

Do you use an Apex?  If so, it can be programmed to selectively turn off high-powered devices during a power failure to preserve battery life.

• Like 1

One cool idea I saw recently from another reefer was using a UPS backup but he added a deep cycle marine battery to it (hard wired it internally). He was saying the extra capacity took his system from running for like 30 mins to running like all day lol! Seemed like a cool mod as UPS backups aren’t all that spendy then you add about $120ish for the deep cycle and some wire and a battery box and your in business! Something to search online for, he’s not the first to do the mod.

on the dirt cheap survivor mode backup is the battery powered air pumps. They make a model with a plug that auto kicks on when power goes out. These run like $20-30 and can keep your O2 levels up in a short term power outage.

• Like 2