Rodi questions

CrabbyCrabs

So I purchased a 180 gpd mega Max cap rodi from spectrapure. I have high co2 in the well water so the RO goes to a brute for degassing then gets pumped through the di to another brute. I'm getting an odd answer from spectrapure. They are saying 3 gph is Max flow through the di resin. Any clue how that is when it's attached to a 180 gpd ro unit? Are they wrong? Why can I only run 2-3 gph through the di but if I installed the unit as shipped it would be seeing roughly 180 gpd?

Anyone have some insight or thoughts. I can't see taking several days to make 100 gallons of rodi water. That can't be normal.

That doesn’t make sense to me...I’ve never heard of needing to restrict flow through DI for some sort of extra dwell time or something (beyond the natural orifice restriction from fitting sizes and flow through the material itself). Also keep in mind they are saying 3 GPH not GPD which is 72 GPD (still not your 180gpd, but the loss shouldn’t be over half after DI). I’m not familiar with what all is involved with the excess CO2 degassing as I’ve never had that issue, hopefully someone else will know more...city water FTW? 😂

• Like 1

I don't know why you would need to degass the water before going through the DI.  Your RO is likely no where near 180gpd anyways, unless for some reason your ground water is like 75 degrees.   50 degree water cuts your GPD rating in half, so yeah, like physics and stuff. 

I use a booster pump. I can fill a 44 gallon brute in about 5 hours with just ro. You obviously don't know anything about co2 depleting di resin so you can either chime out or do some research before posting@pdxmonkey. Degassing well water that contains high co2 is necessary or you will burn through di resin in less than 100 gallons. I ro to a brute, aerate with a large pump and air stones for a few days then pump through di

Okay folks... time to collectively chill.  

Leaving aside the CO2 question, I think everyone agrees that the flow rate restriction given for the DI resin doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the overall rating for the system.  The reality is it's 72 vs. 180 gallons per day so not an order of magnitude.  If you were putting out something approaching the 180 per day with the unit running as originally designed, then I can't see there being any meaningful impact of continuing to run at that rate separately through the DI just based on pure logic (company advice aside).  Since that seems to be the overall consensus from those who responded and answers the original question, I think it perhaps wise to just lock this thread before anyone gets any more agitated.  Feel free to PM one of the board members or officers if you want to reopen this discussion for some reason.

Thanks all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1