Nori Making Skimmer Foam Like Crazy??

TaylorW

Here is a link if anyone is interested (hopefully I'm not breaking any rules posting it...) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dried-vs-roasted-seaweed-nori.613968/

Wow thanks so much for all this information! I started thinking maybe someone got confused, like with how boiling veggies can take away a little nutrition. Could be wrong but 90 percent is definitely a leap that surprised me and I couldn't find anywhere where that could be fact. It kind of worried me because I had been feeding all my Tangs what turned out to be roasted Nori for over a year (couple years ago before my crash) and I just bought the same brand yesterday. I put it in my tank and my new Kole tang went nuts but my Skimmer didn't [emoji23] so it turned out I didn't waste a long drive to WinCo to buy it. I also went ahead and ordered some of the One Organic brand, should be here today.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

I'm in [emoji178] with my new Kole tang! I was originally planning on getting another Hippo but now I'm glad I found this one on here instead. I've been calling it a She, obviously no way to know but it looks like a She to me [emoji39] It hid for at least the first 24 hours but I would see it's bright yellow eyes peeking out of the rocks [emoji23] I'm assuming it got hungry enough to venture out and has been out and about since. And those lips! [emoji23] I've been calling it Crazy Lips, constantly sucking on the glass and rocks and opening it's mouth really wide to slurp up food. I never got this much entertainment from a Hippo Tang, I absolutely adore this [emoji226]. I'll try to snap a decent picture today, I kept trying yesterday but it was scared of the flash from the camera and is super fast so the pics were mainly blurs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TaylorW said:

I'm in emoji178.png with my new Kole tang! I was originally planning on getting another Hippo but now I'm glad I found this one on here instead. I've been calling it a She, obviously no way to know but it looks like a She to me emoji39.png It hid for at least the first 24 hours but I would see it's bright yellow eyes peeking out of the rocks emoji23.png I'm assuming it got hungry enough to venture out and has been out and about since. And those lips! emoji23.png I've been calling it Crazy Lips, constantly sucking on the glass and rocks and opening it's mouth really wide to slurp up food. I never got this much entertainment from a Hippo Tang, I absolutely adore this emoji226.png. I'll try to snap a decent picture today, I kept trying yesterday but it was scared of the flash from the camera and is super fast so the pics were mainly blurs.

They are great fish! My wife named ours Hawkeye, after the MASH character, since it's a surgeon fish. 😂

• Like 1

[mention=15876]TaylorW[/mention] How is your new kole tang doing, and did your skimmer eventually settle down?

The Kole tang is doing great! It's become my favorite, I love watching that silly fish. It's a tad shy still but it recognizes me now, if it sees my husband from across the room it bolts behind the rocks [emoji38] I've been trying to get my husband to start feeding them more but not much interest [emoji57] It turns out my Skimmer does not like Ocean's Halo Nori because I've tried two kinds after with no problems with the Skimmer. I bought some of the WinCo kind I used to buy and ordered the One Organic brand from Amazon and have been using both. I don't really know why it foamed like that from the Ocean's Halo Nori, I've compared the ingredients and nutrition facts but there's really not much difference at all so I'm at a loss. There's obviously something different, I did notice the Ocean's Halo Nori seemed to break up much easier and quicker, for example when I put it on a clip tiny pieces would tend to break off and end up in the overflow pretty quickly and make the Skimmer freak out. I noticed with the other types they seem to stay in one piece much easier and not break away into small pieces and end up in the overflow. It could very well be just that... 

[mention=15876]TaylorW[/mention] Here's my kole tang having a snack.  It's nothing like the violent feeding frenzy of [mention=16179]pdxmonkeyboy[/mention]'s tangs. [emoji1787]

Tank looking great as always [emoji108] I love the Chromis hovering around wondering why the fuss over Nori [emoji28] my other fish in that tank do the same, get very excited until there see what the Kole is eating. I'm going to try and get a picture or video of mine, I haven't tried very recently but that's a great idea to try getting a picture or video when it's distracted by the Nori. It seems like when it sees me coming with my phone it bolts behind the rocks, very camera shy lol.

• Like 1