I want it all & I want it now!

wicopee

Hi folks, new here. I actually wish to sneak up on this hobby. I enjoy building things and it looks like I can find that in this hobby. I would like to end up with a 50-75 cube style reef. 'Would love to build a custom cabinet and acrylic sump etc. I think I need to get out and meet & greet as the on-line version of this hobby and all the marketing overwhelms me.  Right now designing around a cube is what I am researching.  

My advice, especially with a cube, go on the bigger end (budget allowing). Most people in this hobby find their tanks fill up quickly, so better to start as big as you can.

Also, there is a lot of marketing noise out there, but look at peoples tank builds and you’ll see similar equipment across the board. 

For a cube, a cool wave maker to use is a Gyre. You can mount them vertically and send flow around the cube instead of just in one direction. I ran one in my cube for a while and really liked the flow patters it created. Worth checking out. Good luck with the search!

Edited by Blue Z Reef
Autocorrect sux
  • Like 1

Welcome!  I see you have already received some good advice.  Definitely lots of room in this hobby for do it yourself types and experimentation.  As Lewisriver notes, however, patience is definitely a key component!  Typically nothing good happens fast in this hobby (despite how many times we try).  I also subscribe to the go big (as you can) theory just from the perspective of the added stability.  Also, upsizing components tends not to be terribly expensive so more bang per gallon so to speak.  This also opens the door to more livestock options.  Something to consider anyway...

Good luck!

9 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

My advice, especially with a cube, go on the bigger end (budget allowing). Most people in this hobby find their tanks fill up quickly, so better to start as big as you can

I second this. It was shockingly easy to fill my 93. I'm also currently selling a 93 cube for cheap if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also agree with the comments about going big if you are going cube.  I have a smaller cube now, and honestly, I would have preferred either a traditional rectangular tank or a large cube.  I enjoy watching my fish swim from side to side, but the cube really encourages the more active fish to take a more "circular" route, if that makes sense.  Going deeper into the tank rather than crossing it.   And some have found aquscaping small cubes to be a challenge.  Good luck in whatever you choose to do!