Hydroids?

SuncrestReef

When I first started to notice white fuzzy areas on some of my rocks, I thought it was a form of algae.  But now I think it might be some sort of branching hydroids.  Can anyone confirm?  Below are some detailed macro shots.

It only seems to grow in shaded areas on rocks, on a zoa colony, and around the base of my chalice.

I've read that a peppermint shrimp might graze on hydroids. Any advice?

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 2.47.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 2.48.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 2.53.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 2.54.14 PM.png

Edited by SuncrestReef

Nice shots! Look like hydroids to me. In the temperate marine world, several nudibranchs mow down hydroids like grass. I wonder if Berghia would take a shine to these things? Crustaceans might enjoy munching 'em down, too. Dunno for sure but the Peppermint is probably worth a try as long as there isn't anyone in the system that might fancy eating a fancy shrimp.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Nice shots! Look like hydroids to me. In the temperate marine world, several nudibranchs mow down hydroids like grass. I wonder if Berghia would take a shine to these things? Crustaceans might enjoy munching 'em down, too. Dunno for sure but the Peppermint is probably worth a try as long as there isn't anyone in the system that might fancy eating a fancy shrimp.

All of my fish are safe; 2 clowns, 2 blue chromis, a tailspot blenny, and a yellow watchman goby.  I also have a kole tang still in quarantine, but it won't be any problem for a shrimp either.

As for the photos, I shoot everything with my Nikon 200mm macro lens.  I love the detail it provides!