Neptune Apex... i love you.

for the longest time I thought that an Apex system was an overpriced toy. After sinking a bunch of cash into my new tank it seemed ridiculous not to invest in a monitoring system and i was seriously impressed with how easy it was and how mtany redundancies you can program.

Long story short, i am currently in Ohio

visiting my parents and i get an apex heartbeat notification, then a return pump notification, then a temperature notification. I opened my fusion app and noticed that my EB832 had no power at all. So no heater, skimmer, return pump, doser, nothing!!!

So a 6am call to my teenager and a whole lot of "its the orange rectangle thing, no, the other one.. is this on? is that on? is this making noise" we got it figured out. pulling too much amperage and popped the overload protection.

Anyways.. if you have a significant amount of investment in your tank and on the fence about a monitoring system, they are TOTALLY worth it.

cheers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Indeed.. it is worthy to note however that some people go totally overboard. I am astonished at how many modules and probes people get.

The upcoming trident module is really a huge part of why i went with the apex.

Now that they sell the base 2016 separately i would just buy a base, an 832, a temp,a ph probe, and a breakout box.

Yeah I vaguely remember you criticizing the purchase of Apex systems :happy: Glad to see you have come to the dark side :EvilGrin:

• Like 1

I like having the option of Modules supporting several faucets of the hobby, allowing individuals to cater their System to their own personal concerns.  Many people think conductivity is a waste, whereas I have a smaller tank and had an issue many years ago so I find peace of mind in something others might find pointless. As you mentioned the trident, I personally dont find it cost effective for my needs, though I see how that can be an excellent tool to avoid disastrous Alk swings, and just another tool in the arsenal of reef tank disaster prevention and redundancy.  Though I agree some people can get a little crazy to the extent they are relying to heavily on the controller when we all could spend a little more time checking, testing, and maintaining our tanks :)

Glad to see your Apex worked for you, prior to fusion years ago we didn't have that capability out of the box for alerting, rather we signed up an account at some online service that would ping our apex every so often, and when there was no reply the assumption power was out and the online service would shoot an email :)

5 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

for the longest time I thought that an Apex system was an overpriced toy. After sinking a bunch of cash into my new tank it seemed ridiculous not to invest in a monitoring system and i was seriously impressed with how easy it was and how mtany redundancies you can program.

Long story short, i am currently in Ohio

visiting my parents and i get an apex heartbeat notification, then a return pump notification, then a temperature notification. I opened my fusion app and noticed that my EB832 had no power at all. So no heater, skimmer, return pump, doser, nothing!!!

So a 6am call to my teenager and a whole lot of "its the orange rectangle thing, no, the other one.. is this on? is that on? is this making noise" we got it figured out. pulling too much amperage and popped the overload protection.

Anyways.. if you have a significant amount of investment in your tank and on the fence about a monitoring system, they are TOTALLY worth it.

cheers

I seem to recall someone who started a "tell me why I should waste money on a controller" thread.  Hmmm... who could that have been :EvilGrin:

• Haha 2