Desperately need some help

ChrisQ

So as some of you may have noticed I've been trying to acquire a smaller cube for a little over a year. Well, last night i finally found one and got it home.:clap: Problem that i need help with is it needs to be drilled and i have no glass bit, no corded drill, no experience drilling glass and no weir box.

At this point i would be happy with just a bulkhead with an elbow and a little roll of gutter guard to help keep my clowns, nems and snails in the tank. One other hole for the return.

Preferably, i would like the weir the full length of the back wall but i have no clue how to do this to where it is rock solid (Very important since it will be tie-ed into my main 125g system) i also do not posses the weir box yet.

I started to look into local fish stores and the first i found wanted about $35-$45 for two holes plus added costs for measurements . 

I do have the bulkheads, gate valve/s and a loc-line return

I'm so desperate to start plumbing and give my clowns the life they deserve. Is there anybody out there that can help me with the awesome talent and experience this amazing club possesses? :highfive: 

When i mentioned "the life the deserve" they've watched 20 Rainbow bubble tips propagate in a pond basket with no access to them. Very sad watching the female stare through the little holes at them then go to the front glass and basically throw a fit at me :( 

It's now finally their time to shine

They have had to be finally separated from my main tank because they will never EVER allow the Tangs around their area to clean and have killed more then half a dozen of my fish over the years and i can't seem to bring myself to let them go being they were my first SW fish and is what got me into the hobby. This cube is the reason for the clowns and years of trying to raise them a bunch of nems that started it all :)

I can take a few pics when i get access to my phone in a bit to give a better idea of what i'm trying to do and my main goal.

Thank you all for all the help and advise you've all been willing to share with me already!

Much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Paratore said:

What size holes are you looking to drill? That might also help so people can see if they have the correct glass drill bits :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good point :)  Thanks!

It appears 40mm for the drain and 30mm for the return but it seems it's closer to 4.25cm for the drain and 3.25cm for the returns. I don't know what will be too tight or too loose. 

Also if i went with the preferred weir, the full length weir would be just under 19'' 

This is kind of what i would really like to do but to be very honest, i'm horrible with math and measurements of this nature and have no idea what i would be doing.

overflow3554-jpg.585983

This is what i'm replacing and want to avoid that drain setup with this new cube if i can but I've realized i'll need a lot of help to make sure its straight and done right. :tongue:

DSC04333_zpsqti8bddg.jpg

A strange hobby we have here, i managed to figure this weird rube goldberg device by myself but have no faith in this new mission :laugh:

DSC04316_zps2vaicvtx.jpg

Edited by ChrisQ

I've got a 35MM glass bit which is just about a perfect fit for 3/4" lifeguard aquatic 3/4" ABS Bulkheads. Drilling glass sounds scary (to me) but its really easy, and done correctly pretty much foolproof. (unless it's tempered). When I drill glass I normally do the following:

#1 Get a scrap piece of 2x4, or plywood and cut in the length of the glass you are wanting to cut. 
#2 Figure out the center points for your holes on your tank, do the measurements, account for a radius of the holes and don't go to close to the edge. 
#3 Line up your piece of wood on your tank. Youll needs 1 straight edge along the tank and get it roughly aligned. Redraw the center points on the wood. And make sure your wood was cut accurately enough so you can put it back on the tank with minimal error. 
4# Drill the wood with a wood bit the same size as the glass bit, so the holes in the wood will line up with the desired holes in the tank. 
5# Reattach the wood to the tank, silicone the wood to the tank is the most foolproof way, not letting it cure, but letting it set for an hour~ to let it at least set and create a watertight seal. You can skip the silicone and clamp it, but the drill area will need to stay wet. 
6# Drill the tank. The wood holes will guide the bit so all you need to do is press the button. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian Tesch said:

I've got a 35MM glass bit which is just about a perfect fit for 3/4" lifeguard aquatic 3/4" ABS Bulkheads. Drilling glass sounds scary (to me) but its really easy, and done correctly pretty much foolproof. (unless it's tempered). When I drill glass I normally do the following:

#1 Get a scrap piece of 2x4, or plywood and cut in the length of the glass you are wanting to cut. 
#2 Figure out the center points for your holes on your tank, do the measurements, account for a radius of the holes and don't go to close to the edge. 
#3 Line up your piece of wood on your tank. Youll needs 1 straight edge along the tank and get it roughly aligned. Redraw the center points on the wood. And make sure your wood was cut accurately enough so you can put it back on the tank with minimal error. 
4# Drill the wood with a wood bit the same size as the glass bit, so the holes in the wood will line up with the desired holes in the tank. 
5# Reattach the wood to the tank, silicone the wood to the tank is the most foolproof way, not letting it cure, but letting it set for an hour~ to let it at least set and create a watertight seal. You can skip the silicone and clamp it, but the drill area will need to stay wet. 
6# Drill the tank. The wood holes will guide the bit so all you need to do is press the button. 

This is what i really want to do but it might be a bit passed my ability and comfort level.

Thanks for all the tips!

20140801_152620-jpg.183841

I’d be happy to help if you were closer. You should get the overflow box and return that you want first. Then measure the bulkheads that come with them and drill the appropriate holes. That’s the order you need to do this in.

Protip on drilling glass, drill starting from the inside if possible. This way if you “chip-out” on the end of the hole, it’s on the bulkhead nut surface instead of the gasket surface inside the tank. It’s also way easier to keep the cut submerged with water during the drilling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

I’d be happy to help if you were closer. You should get the overflow box and return that you want first. Then measure the bulkheads that come with them and drill the appropriate holes. That’s the order you need to do this in.

Protip on drilling glass, drill starting from the inside if possible. This way if you “chip-out” on the end of the hole, it’s on the bulkhead nut surface instead of the gasket surface inside the tank. It’s also way easier to keep the cut submerged with water during the drilling.

I think I've decided to give it a shot, does anyone know where i can find a box like this locally?

Someone on here must have one, post in WTB. 

If you’re feeling courageous, you can get a drill for under $20 from Harbor Freight, and a whole set of glass  holesaws from Amazon also for under $20. Look on YouTube, there’s a ton of videos to walk you through it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

if you want the pro pro tip, buy a littlr jag of plumber putty. its like $5 and is essentially like waterproof play dough.

now, grab a big gob and roll it into a snake. Male a couple hissing sounds, annoy your wife with it, ot smash its head with a meteor and roll ir out again.

Now, smoosh the snake around the spot to drill and fashion a little dam. 1/4" or 1/2" is fine. Fill it with water.... and drill. Now the bit stays cool and you dont have water anywhere

EVEN pressure..no angling!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2