Hippo tang qt treatment

jonas503

So I have had a hippo tang in qt with low salinity 1.010 for about two weeks and I can still see signs of ick. How long do you think it will be before it's all dead? It's eating great and is getting very fat and is doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Higher Thinking said:

If I recall correctly, Colby was saying there is a huge difference between 1.010 and 1.009. The latter is much more effective. I can't attest to this kind of stuff myself, but he's got the experience for sure!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Yep - I recall him saying that the extra .001 made all the difference... which is one thing that makes the hypo salinity treatment tricky if you don't have really accurate measuring equipment.  Not much room for error sine 1.007 is apparently fatal.  Would make me nervous. 

Check online ich treatment article... If I recall correctly, need to be 1.008 but that's close to what they fish can survive. If it's marine velvet, it can survive much lower than fish can survive.

Also, unlike freshwater ich, for marine ich, don't raise temp or ich can last 8+ weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Check online ich treatment article... If I recall correctly, need to be 1.008 but that's close to what they fish can survive. If it's marine velvet, it can survive much lower than fish can survive.

Also, unlike freshwater ich, for marine ich, don't raise temp or ich can last 8+ weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Can you provide a citation for that temperature advice? It is contrary to everything I have read on ich treatment.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, jonas503 said:

I did a bunch of reading and they say 1.009-1.008 at 1.006 fish start to die. I have it at 1.009 and the hippo is looking better already. 

This is good feedback and glad to hear it is working.  Colby did suggest that the line between working and not is pretty thin and your experience would certainly seem to support that.  I think they use some pretty carefully calibrated conductance/salinity meters for their setup just because of this - and the fact that overshooting can be fatal.  Hope your tang continues to improve!

• Like 1

I have been debating about purchasing a pinpoint salinity meter for new fish quarantine.

Good to hear it is working out. The physics behind it are solid. In freshwater ich is child's play. Turn the tank to 84 degrees and wait a week.

Although this does speed up the ich cycle there is apparently some other factors involved in saltwater that can enable them to tolerate the higher temps..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Can you provide a citation for that temperature advice? It is contrary to everything I have read on ich treatment.

Thanks!

If I recall, the claim is that higher temp forces the ich cyst to into some sort of dormant state (wait out for better conditions).  I tried google a few time but couldn't find where I saw that before.

But here are discussions where marine ich can survive to 90F.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/marine-ich-myths-and-facts.23132/

• Like 1