Question on covering nearly entrie sand bed

PowderBlue

So here's the gig, I'm tired of sps haha, so I want to have a total zoa garden per say. My question is, if I basically cover the entire sand bed with rocks, that will be covered in zoas, is it going to create a problem for filtration and water quality? I have a lot of flow but obviously the rocks with block the flow from the sand bed.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What about bare bottom with starboard or something? Corals love the flat growing areas :yippee:

if you went with the rock fiesta route you'd probably have to take a powerhead and blow them out regularly for maintenance. Despite large amounts of flow, lots of rock can hide dead spots still

• Like 2

[language filter], that's a drool-worthy picture! :drool:  Can't blame you for wanting such a thing. Go with a normal rock scape and tilt the tank forward at an angle for the top-down view! :laugh: 

Disclaimer: no one do that! Joke only! Water soon to be on your floor! :joking:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PowderBlue said:

I want the top down to be like this 6b3ea8fbd7e18282f27afa966c099c70.jpg like literally you look down and it's just BOOM zoas!

Whoa... that is pretty slick.  I will say, however, that I notice at least a couple of SPS in there!  You will need to mount a video camera over the tank and project the image to your big screen 24/7 to get the full effect. Well, that or tilt the tank per Cherany's suggestion :EvilGrin:

• Like 2

Whoa... that is pretty slick.  I will say, however, that I notice at least a couple of SPS in there!  You will need to mount a video camera over the tank and project the image to your big screen 24/7 to get the full effect. Well, that or tilt the tank per Cherany's suggestion :EvilGrin:

I have a couple pieces of sps still as long as they last haha!

The problem is the clean up crew will bulldoze their path through.. As long as you leave channels or openings.. Large hermits and big snails can trample some nice Zoas. But filtration is not a problem.. 

You can even grow them flat on tiles or on rubble. They grow better when the rocks are touching or flat. I could recommend for ground cover to get a morph like cherry charms, Mohawks, or Sakuras/Fuzzballs that grow quickly.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2