Argh! Zoo juice in the eye

jptrson

Just a reminder to wear goggles and gloves when working with zoo's.

Last night I was just putting a small piece of zoo's in my tank when the rock broke, I looked down to catch it and got squirted right in the eye DOH!.It stung a little but didn't think too much about it, this morning I woke it felt like I had a hangover, eye was stinging like crazy and swelled quite a bit, as the day went on I've had blurred vision, aching muscles and slight cramping, nausea and now the shakes and itching all over. I hope the worse is over(scary)

[ATTACH]1695[/ATTACH]

post-213-141867767979_thumb.jpg

Brandon,

I second that. Picture of the month for sure. As far as the palytoxic encounter, I would at least give your local poison control center a call. I don't think anything worse will happen to you, but a good rinse and a call couldn't hurt. Just to be safe. Ouch and no fun! Good luck with that bud. It is only the most deadly natural toxin known to man;) But seriously no worries.

I would definately get some good advise from your doctor if you cant get any info out of poison control.

good luck,

Garrett

I would be afraid of the tiked off transfering ZoobugYou virus, you know, when a polyp closes up, your finders do the same, one at a time, shrivvel up to stump fountains and whither away individually when you're not getting enough sunlight or hands under the tank lighting.(laugh)

Now worries, I'm just a little itchy for Halloween to come around.

You guys were right, off to emergency at 5am. After watering severely it totally crusted over (sorta like Homer Simpson) then swelled shut. They did a saline flush for about 45 minutes, and I have to go to the eye doc tomorrow to see if there is any tissue damage. If this happens to anyone, get to the Dr. within the hour as I didn't have any symptoms other the stinging until the next morning, nows there's a chance of permanent damage due to the toxin not being totally flushed from the eye.

And thanks for the concerns. I just wanted to share this so others think about it more seriously. Remember, I wasn't fragging.. just picking up a rock to add into the tank.

Oh geez, those are popular.... On a side note also don't splash kalk powder in your eyeball, it feels like your eyelid is sand paper for about 4 days and bloodshot just the same.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles, you may want to print out the zoanthid toxin sheet twitter posted.

Are all zoos having this toxin in the same intensity? I am new to the hobby and I have had two strange episodes with moving them around in reef tank.I really like them. I read the Hawaians used to tip their spears with their native zoo juice and it could kill an enemiy alsmost instantly. I am making a separate tank for them and and am handling them with care! Respect! Toni

Just a quick update, no damage to the cornea(clap). I have to take 2 eye drops every 3 hours for the week. The vision is back to normal, swelling has gone down but body aches still severe and feel stoned most of the timeBetter than licking frogs...I guess). The eye doc said about 2 weeks for redness and swelling to go away.