Last ditch effort for nitrate removal, help!

PowderBlue

Moving in the direction! 00eddcc33625001e230ebaedf8d0890f.jpg after removing the half of the sand and dosing no pox they have dropped by about 5ppm a day. I'm going to cut back on the nopox and see how it goes the next few days. I don't want to dump them too fast. I'm riding about 5 to 10 ppm as of today.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it. Wild the sand bed was housing the nitrates so well.

I'm sitting around 50ish on nitrates. I did just open up my rocks to allow more flow. My tank was a mess after... looks better now and the wrasse loves the new look. Saturday I'm going to vacuum out the "sump" get any junk out. I have a air driven skimmer I just don't know if I should try any kind of dosing like you did. I guess if cleaning doesn't help I will get a bag of sand and replace the old stuff little by little. I already added Marinepure several months back.

I'm sitting around 50ish on nitrates. I did just open up my rocks to allow more flow. My tank was a mess after... looks better now and the wrasse loves the new look. Saturday I'm going to vacuum out the "sump" get any junk out. I have a air driven skimmer I just don't know if I should try any kind of dosing like you did. I guess if cleaning doesn't help I will get a bag of sand and replace the old stuff little by little. I already added Marinepure several months back.

I'd start with a big water change and a good cleaning. Then go from there

Ya know, Powder Blue.....You may be doing everything right but your TOP-OFF water may be high in Phosphates. I'm not sure if Nitrates show up when look at TDS?

When you want your lawn to really grow fast you put fertilizer on it. Fertilizer has 3 numbers. Like 25-15-20. The 1st # is Nitrogen, 2nd # is PHOSPHATES, 3rd # is Pot Ash.

A lot of City water systems are very high in Phosphates. If you don't have a good RODI system you may be fertilizing your tanks Algae with every top-off[emoji15]. Just a though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Ya know, Powder Blue.....You may be doing everything right but your TOP-OFF water may be high in Phosphates. I'm not sure if Nitrates show up when look at TDS?

When you want your lawn to really grow fast you put fertilizer on it. Fertilizer has 3 numbers. Like 25-15-20. The 1st # is Nitrogen, 2nd # is PHOSPHATES, 3rd # is Pot Ash.

A lot of City water systems are very high in Phosphates. If you don't have a good RODI system you may be fertilizing your tanks Algae with every top-off[emoji15]. Just a though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most definitely! I didn't even think of this until another member texted me and I tested it last week. Luckily it's dead nuts 0!

• Like 1

I'm glad they are going the right way for you.

I have a very different idea for you knowing your system. Do you want to try and borrow a smaller skimmer? Your skimmer is so big and your tank so small LOL! Seriously isn't that thing rated for like 10x your tank volume. Sometimes to big is to big. 

More flow is always good in my book as well as you know, never enough. It could be that the increased movement is helping to push the water through the rocks and into the anaerobic bacteria's path... 

If you end up going the ATS route stop by, I got parts for you and room to clear in my garage. I was gonna build one so I picked up a bunch of stuff for it. Never did. 

Usually bottled bacteria is not going to help with nitrate. It is specially designed for nitrite for cycling tanks. The bacteria that converts nitrate is anaerobic and wouldn't be to happy in a bottle I would guess. JMO on that, no research as to the specific strains they use but... pretty good guess I think. Could be wrong. 

• Like 1

I have a very different idea for you knowing your system. Do you want to try and borrow a smaller skimmer? Your skimmer is so big and your tank so small LOL! Seriously isn't that thing rated for like 10x your tank volume. Sometimes to big is to big.

More flow is always good in my book as well as you know, never enough. It could be that the increased movement is helping to push the water through the rocks and into the anaerobic bacteria's path...

If you end up going the ATS route stop by, I got parts for you and room to clear in my garage. I was gonna build one so I picked up a bunch of stuff for it. Never did.

Usually bottled bacteria is not going to help with nitrate. It is specially designed for nitrite for cycling tanks. The bacteria that converts nitrate is anaerobic and wouldn't be to happy in a bottle I would guess. JMO on that, no research as to the specific strains they use but... pretty good guess I think. Could be wrong.

Yea it's rated for 300 gallons light bio but heavy bioload which id definitely consider I have, its rated for 180 I think. I only have about 80 gallons. I'm going to see how the tank reacts with no chemical additives and just water changes for the next few weeks. If levels start to rise again I'll take you up on that!

• Like 1

To clarify, NoPox is not bottled bacteria. It is a combination of methanol and vinegar that is intended to feed denitrifying bacteria. It works the same way vodka does, but it has a proprietary mix that is supposed to break down phosphate as well--better than vodka, that is.

To clarify, NoPox is not bottled bacteria. It is a combination of methanol and vinegar that is intended to feed denitrifying bacteria. It works the same way vodka does, but it has a proprietary mix that is supposed to break down phosphate as well--better than vodka, that is.

Good lookin out,

I am familiar with NoPox, but was reffering to the other bacteria suggested earlier in the thread. 

IMHO I think vodka works great, and while we might have the obsession to find something that is 1 or 2% better always as reefers, when it comes to food for bacteria, I am not so picky. I don't even buy them good vodka ;) I think the misconception with carbon dosing is that it is a quick fix. It can take many months to really dial a tank in. IME it does work, but it does take quite a bit of time for it to be effective.