Reducing nitrates.. Few questions on my setup

PowderBlue

I feel like as aquarists we rely too much on numbers. And this is even more true when it comes to Nitrates.

I have read studies (about the effect of nitrates in reef aquaria and coral aquaculture) saying that they are terribly bad, some that say the opposite and some that were unable to get to a real conclusion.

I have seen friends killing tanks for the quest of a specific number, while not seeing that the issue was elsewhere.

Is-it really that number (which is provided by a consumer grade test) that is making part of your sps population not thriving?

How about all the other factors, like positioning, flow, the history of each specimen?

From what I can see your aquarium looks just great.

All that said, if I read it well you have a lot of turnover. Water moving so quickly between display and sump generates O2 (mechanically). What does all that extra O2 do when it meets the nitrogen in your tank? Do you remember the so called trickle filters in the 90's? Slow it down (I run the water in my display only once per hour in my filtration system) and wait. Keep up with the rest of the routine maintenance and you will see NO3 going magically down ;-)

I hope this helps

I totally agree! My main concern with my tank is my sps did amazing for months and then took a turn for the worst quickly, top 2 things were mag drop and nitrate spike. Mag is fixed but nitrates won't come down for some reason. So the nopox is in the mail and gets here tomorrow lol

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I would save for a small Vertex skimmer. They are awsome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an SRO xp3000 it's a great skimmer to my knowledge, and I have the automatic neck cleaner for it as well. I think i have to many fish and was feeding to much. I'm cutting back on food and fish and will see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk