ATI worth the money?

Zotalpha

I just bought a nuvo 30L off of Powder blue (thanks for the great deal!). The plan is to use it as a frag tank with a little bit of everything in it(zoas, lps, and sps). Since I have been in the hobby it's been nothing but LEDs for me, that being said I wanted to try something new. Some of the nicest tanks I have seen are running with t5s specifically ATI fixtures and bulbs.

My question is are the fixtures worth paying 2x compared to other T5 fixtures?

My other question is would a 6 bulb ATI setup be overkill for a tank that size. I could buy a 4 bulb fixture but for 100 bucks more I 6 would be better for "if" I upgrade.

Thanks for any input!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd say if you can find a tek for a good deal that would be best bang for the buck, but ATI are the cats meow.

Like Jeff said the 6 bulb will allow you to tweak your spectrum, you may have to run the light a little higher above the tank, but it would allow you more room to upgrade down the road also.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

​ I was running leds and switched to a 6 bulb ati with the exact bulb combo your thinking. Overall iv been happy with the switch. Creates a nice ice blue look. Way better growth than I ever got with the leds. However, as some who enjoys my tanks on the bluer side, the beauty of the led blue with the shimmer can't be replicated with T5s. I missed it so much I now run blue leds with my T5s. Also, helps with dawn/dusk.

One thing I did not consider before I made the switch is that T5s give out way more heat than the LEDs. Way less than MH but significantly more than LEDs. Their heat has created some issues I never dealt with the LEDs.