Sump refugium build

Avsdragon

Hello I need some help. I modified my small sump see pic attached to do a refugium for a 75g tank measuring 4ft long x 8.5ft tall x 1.6ft wide but I am afraid it's to small to start a copepod livestock so I can get a dragonet. To be honest I think my sump is to small for the tank. So I am looking for someone to build a sump refugium for me or advise me to what size sump refugium I need please help

Thanks Jason

Hi Jason, my personal opinion would be to add more live rock to your main display. You should seed it with pods for a few months before adding a dragonette. The refugium is a good idea but it will only help supplement the display. I would also consider a sump with a different layout. A 40 breeder with a couple baffles before the return would be sufficient. Again, this is just my opinion and I'm sure there other ways to make it work. Good luck!

• Like 2

Hi Jason, my personal opinion would be to add more live rock to your main display. You should seed it with pods for a few months before adding a dragonette. The refugium is a good idea but it will only help supplement the display. I would also consider a sump with a different layout. A 40 breeder with a couple baffles before the return would be sufficient. Again, this is just my opinion and I'm sure there other ways to make it work. Good luck!

Jorge thank you do you have a pic that I can see.

Here is my 40 breeder that I am using. The first section now has rock and macro in it with a light. One return comes in there and the other drops into the skimmer section that is adjustable for height. then final section is the return pump. Was a kit purchased on line and siliconed in by me.

IMG_2919.jpg

• Like 3

Here is my 40 breeder that I am using. The first section now has rock and macro in it with a light. One return comes in there and the other drops into the skimmer section that is adjustable for height. then final section is the return pump. Was a kit purchased on line and siliconed in by me.

IMG_2919.jpg

Thank you for the pic.

• Like 1

pod6.jpg

You should look into doing a simple DIY pod condo. Just takes some gutter gaurd and live rock rubble or cheato. It gives the pods a safe place to breed that the mandarins can't get to so they multiply more.

So now that I have built 2 of these condo things and put one in each corner of my main. Do I just put the required amount of copeopod cutler in the main tank and they migrate to these or is their something special i need to do to put them in the condo? Also, i have not bought the cutlers yet and I am sure the instruction on how much to use is on their but can I get an idea of how much I might want to use of said bottle for a 75g tank?

They will go all over but you might as well dump some on your condos. Do it at night with lights out and turn off your pumps for a bit so they can get into the rocks easier.

As others said though, you really need more live rock in the tank. Most say 50+ lbs of mature rock to keep one. I'd suggest also looking into training them to eat frozen foods.

• Like 1

They will go all over but you might as well dump some on your condos. Do it at night with lights out and turn off your pumps for a bit so they can get into the rocks easier.

As others said though, you really need more live rock in the tank. Most say 50+ lbs of mature rock to keep one. I'd suggest also looking into training them to eat frozen foods.

Wow 50+. I bought 5lbs last night and not sure I have enough room for 50+lb interesting. I use frozen food now for the community so when I get the pods established and then get the dragonett and then get him or her established I am hoping to get it trained to eat frozen. I did read that last night through out my research so thank you for the suggestion on frozen food. Now I need to convince the wife that 50+lbs of live rock is better than making the tank look pretty with the decor. LOL Now to save up the money for a better sump. Thank you all for your help

Edited by Avsdragon

Remember a sump can be made really easy out of a glass tank and some baffles. Wait for the dollar sale and grab a tank then go to TAP plastics and get some acrylic and silicone in a few baffles.

I went my rout as I am OCD :laugh:  and wanted a 40 breeder as there was room under the tank for one.

What size sump are you after?

• Like 1