sps and strange algae i.d

ChrisQ

Been looking up the sps here thinking some sort of Pocillopora but this is definitely not my area.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/factsheets.jsp

Was pretty bright neon green when i pulled it

018d9a3085b1ec3c97ba238c16d38a7e370a7300

014d1163967183c41cef1e85724398300d067472

Next is this super red stuff. Comes right off and is still pliable drying in the sun.

This pic is clearly Coraline. It's very hard and needs to be chipped away.

0172c50f54eb6614affedeb7da281cd185f851b4

But this is the stuff in question. Red turf algae?

01bc13eaf7b14699ccfac0322e1676d36ffdc07e

01a43e1d8b7b71bc74dda31491755dfa79ab53bc

01bc13eaf7b14699ccfac0322e1676d36ffdc07e

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by ChrisQ

green spongodes? looks too spongy though

I wish it was, i used to have a small frag of that and it just exploded into a mini colony very quickly but i lost it in one of my tank crashes.

It looks like a sponge to me.

When i was at the member's house to pick up the coral, the coral i was there for was attached to the rock so i was just going to throw my bone cutters in my back pocket and good to go. Well i forgot them at home and had no choice but to take the whole rock.

When i put the rock into the bucket i reached in and felt a few of them and they were very stoney so i knew it was some sort of sps.

It sure looks like some Pocilipora Damicornus that has had its polyps removed or sucked inside.

Thanks Bert! I spent about an hour on that site going through all of them but just didn't know for sure.

Edited by ChrisQ

I wish it was, i used to have a small frag of that and it just exploded into a mini colony very quickly but i lost it in one of my tank crashes.

When i was at the member's house to pick up the coral, the coral i was there for was attached to the rock so i was just going to throw my bone cutters in my back pocket and good to go. Well i forgot them at home and had no choice but to take the whole rock.

When i put the rock into the bucket i reached in and felt a few of them and they were very stoney so i knew it was some sort of sps.

Thanks Bert!

Hey I have a large spongodes colony, if you are ever in Salem area come on by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys!

I just really wanted to know what kind of coral i sent to the coral gods being this is the only rock/coral i've adding to my tank without vicious dipping in almost 3 years. I had nowhere near enough extra water in my sump to dip a whole rock and then rinse it the 300-400 times needed to get all the Bayer out being i house a cleaner shrimp. Worst yet is i had no salt on hand at the moment the replenish the sump volume loss and had to bring my own water to pick up the frag. So this is where the bone cutters come in (That i forgot at home) i was only able to pull enough water from my sump to comfortably cover the frag/colony not the rock and keep the system stable.

When i got home i could have just cut the coral off i was after, dipped it and been done with it but i just hate the idea of killing a bunch of coral so like and idiot i decided to add the whole thing to my tank and to be honest i didn't really have much time to think about it or try and line up another person to take it but i fully understood the risk.

A tank rebuild was imminent anyways.

Any word on that algae? That was one of the reasons i pulled the rock. I have way too many algae problems right now to add more.

Green turf algae seems to be my main problem right now.