New Tank Build!

Aquanius

Alright, so I finally have some items coming together for the 120 build.  I am planning on doing a modified herbie to quiet it down, I am unsure about the durso system so I thought I might try something I found on the internet.  My wife and I refinished the stand that we bought with the tank, but I am unhappy with the center brace because it is huge and gets in the way.  I am thinking of supporting the boards above it with a 2x4 and cutting out the center brace and maybe putting a magnet on it so that I can still use it, for the doors, but be able to remove it so I can remove my sump.  I currently cannot remove the sump because it is freaking too tall and long, but if I remove the brace I will be good to go.  Anyways here is a picture as it currently sits.  I will upload some more of the piping when I am done gluing it.

RXlmavws0UbI9shhgM8oc-bWwtwvmW65VIWd1Btu

Edited by softy
  • Like 3

From left to right: Emergency drain, siphon drain, standard drain, return.  I will most likely split the return at the right overflow using a T and have it come out of both sides.

Anyone have any tips for cleanly cutting out the center brace?  Would a 2x6 or 2x4 spanning above the brace, inside the stand, be enough to support the tank with a floating center brace, or would you recommend building leg supports as well, pretty much reinforcing the top->bottom weight distribution.  I believe the wood that was used on there is like a 1x4, at best.

More pictures!

Not sure if you can tell but I got a pair of Dan's ReeFi lights and they are awesome! Dan has been a huge help getting the app updated and even taking in some of my feature suggestions, I mean he was up until past 11pm on Sunday with me fixing connection issues!

f8fae65cd229438d428363374cf59631.jpg

13d6588f633f70d13d525ea9d87c1b2d.jpg

d691c6e5a4c94b3ee4f9230b3b321ad3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Nice! Those lights sure do look nice. I'd like to see them in person to see the color adjustability and also sps growth.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Take a look at the write up that I just did. You can see that the 5 channels are all adjustable from 1 to 1200 (not sure of the units), so you can adjust the color by tweaking the Red/Cyan channel, White/Blue channel, and either of the blue channels. The UV channel seems to affect the color morphing of the corals more than the appearance to your eye.

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/38353-reefi-leds/

• Like 1

Nice! Those lights sure do look nice. I'd like to see them in person to see the color adjustability and also sps growth.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks PowderBlue, I am happy to show them off anytime, and the price is great for these right now considering the other options out there.  I am thinking of doing a video of them showing all of the adjustability of the lights, they are pretty amazing in my opinion.  Plus I like supporting a local creator.

• Like 2

Take a look at the write up that I just did. You can see that the 5 channels are all adjustable from 1 to 1200 (not sure of the units), so you can adjust the color by tweaking the Red/Cyan channel, White/Blue channel, and either of the blue channels. The UV channel seems to affect the color morphing of the corals more than the appearance to your eye.

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/38353-reefi-leds/

Tank looks great!

Thanks for the compliments, can't wait to get some more fish and coral going in there.  I had a couple hitch-hiking zoas and two corals, I think a candy cane head and some type of fuzzy something.  They all seem to be doing pretty good, but since it is a new cycle I am not sure if they are going to survive or not haha.  I 'll see if I can get some pictures of them soon so that someone can help me ID them.

I will read your write-up here in a few minutes, it is a similar idea to what I had, but I will try to do a video showing the app so others can see the goodness.  I need to play around with the different lighting levels so that I can dial in the way I like it, but the defaults are pretty pleasing too :)  I am just not sure what is the best for coral growth, I am very new to lighting in general.  When I used to do it, I used to just slap on some actinic t5 and dual 400w metal halides and call it a day lol.

• Like 1

Thanks PowderBlue, I am happy to show them off anytime, and the price is great for these right now considering the other options out there.  I am thinking of doing a video of them showing all of the adjustability of the lights, they are pretty amazing in my opinion.  Plus I like supporting a local creator.

Did you leave the lens in your lights? I took mine out, since I thought that the color blending was a little better. I think it reduces the PAR, though, if you take the lens out.

Edited by Lexinverts

Thanks for the compliments, can't wait to get some more fish and coral going in there.  I had a couple hitch-hiking zoas and two corals, I think a candy cane head and some type of fuzzy something.  They all seem to be doing pretty good, but since it is a new cycle I am not sure if they are going to survive or not haha.  I 'll see if I can get some pictures of them soon so that someone can help me ID them.

I will read your write-up here in a few minutes, it is a similar idea to what I had, but I will try to do a video showing the app so others can see the goodness.  I need to play around with the different lighting levels so that I can dial in the way I like it, but the defaults are pretty pleasing too :)  I am just not sure what is the best for coral growth, I am very new to lighting in general.  When I used to do it, I used to just slap on some actinic t5 and dual 400w metal halides and call it a day lol.

I don't have an Android phone, so I cannot use the app. Daniel showed me some screen shots of it, though. It looks nice.

Feel free to add the video, or anything else, to my thread if you'd like.

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 1

Did you leave the lens in your lights? I took mine out, since I thought that the color blending was a little better. I think it reduces the PAR, though, if you take the lens out.

I still have the lens on, but I have the lights about 12" from the water surface because I wasn't sure what the PAR would be quite yet.  I know I can do some more adjustment as I come to learn more about lighting.  I will try mine with it off and see what it looks like.

I don't have an Android phone, so I cannot use the app. Daniel showed me some screen shots of it, though. It looks nice.

Feel free to add the video, or anything else, to my thread if you'd like.

Awesome, I will do that.  I am going to be doing some playing around to see if I can make the built in webpage that exists on the lights a little easier to manage, similar to the app.  I think Dan has done a great job on the app.