New pickup this weekend

Higher Thinking

I made it to OIAB yesterday. I hadn't been there in years, but I was in search of a Naso tang and luckily they had a couple in stock. I'm definitely a fan of these fish I general, but I currently have a dictyota macro algae problem exploding in my tank. This stuff is horrible!

Anyway, they are one of the few reported fish to eat this garbage so hopefully the fish will help be get it under control. He's been in the tank less than 24 hours and he's begun coming away at it so that's a good sign. Hopefully it'll be able to eat faster than it grows. I might have to do some major manual removal to give the Naso an opportunity to stay ahead of the algae.

I let the fish hang in an iso box for about 5 hours. I'm not sure if that helped or not, but I had one so I figured I'd use it, however briefly.

db6ee9cf2681179d02c8307c4fcf5dfc.jpg

695ca2d24b104f9d34fe5828becee542.jpg

The Naso is a bit smaller than my Sailfin and Hippo, but it seems to be able to hang. The Sailfin is definitely flexing on the Naso pretty consistently.

26dcc408dd9a3a8e0448a7bb367c9916.jpg

3d06dd867a868c87327185fce64ca1c6.jpg

What type of salt do you use? It's gonna a rough ride but it can be beaten? Gl!

IO. Plain and simple. Have you heard a connection with this macro and certain salts?

Congrats! My most favorite fish for sure!

PS: Tank is looking HUGE and good! :happy:

Thanks man! Only a couple days in and everyone seems to be getting along. And the Naso is smashing that macro algae, so that's good.

Have Kent now. Have had nothing but issues. Can't wait to run out

Not to derail the thread but i too have been having issues with Kent salt. Out of a 200g box some bags mix really clear and some mix very cloudy and take a while to clear. Haven't ran any tests yet though.

beautiful fish BTW!

Not to derail the thread but i too have been having issues with Kent salt. Out of a 200g box some bags mix really clear and some mix very cloudy and take a while to clear. Haven't ran any tests yet though.

beautiful fish BTW!

I checked parameters on Kent 3 times and all 3 times it was different. I decided to stop doing water changes with it til I purchase something different. I never did buy something different and did 0 water changes for close to six months. Guess what happened? Green hair algae, bubble algae, cyano, bryopsis and some weird slimy film in my frag tank dissappeared. Yes, I checked my ro/di, rinsed frozen food religiously, was not overstocked in my 280, and it wasn't til I quick water changes that I noticed an improvement.

I checked parameters on Kent 3 times and all 3 times it was different. I decided to stop doing water changes with it til I purchase something different. I never did buy something different and did 0 water changes for close to six months. Guess what happened? Green hair algae, bubble algae, cyano, bryopsis and some weird slimy film in my frag tank dissappeared. Yes, I checked my ro/di, rinsed frozen food religiously, was not overstocked in my 280, and it wasn't til I quick water changes that I noticed an improvement.

Dang! with all the tank problems i have right now i mixed up 70g yesterday and was starting to prep for a big WC for a 140g system as i type this lol

Oh well, at this point all i can do is hope for the best  :fingerscrossed:

Dang! with all the tank problems i have right now i mixed up 70g yesterday and was starting to prep for a big WC for a 140g system as i type this lol

Oh well, at this point all i can do is hope for the best  :fingerscrossed:

I'd go forward with it. I don't like telling anyone to stop doing water changes because it goes completely against all I've ever known and been told to do. I don't plan on doing big water changes on my new build. I'll probably do a five gallon bucket every couple weeks at most just to replace some essential elements that I don't care to test for and the little bit whenever I acclimate a fish.
  • Like 1

Yep going threw that right now....fighting it like crazy... I just don't remember having this issue before with Kent but then I switched to coral pro for some time. I just got a great deal on the Kent and didn't have any issues in the past until now....ok I'm going to try the no water changes unless I have too. Can't hurt .