LOGO design Contest - ReOpened

Chief

We are going to have a logo design contest. The winning design will be featured on all of the clubs merchandise. First and for-most will be our new t-shirts.

This is not a banner design contest. We are looking for a logo that would look good on the breast pocket of a t-shirt or on a business card.

Enter as often as you like. It would be nice to have these shirts by September 15th for the Fall Beach Clean-up, but we may not have time. Let's see your designs.

Jay

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When was the club officially started?

It started officially as PNWMAS 3 1/2 years ago, but there has been almost a monthly local marine aquarium club meeting since the first Marine Study Group meeting on February 3, 1995. It was then a Special Interest Group of Greater Portland Aquarium Society. Even when it was this size we sometimes had crowds of 60 to 100 people show up for workshops and guest speakers. We felt the group would take a break until we could eventually become a separate Marine Aquarium Society. After it disbanded, a few die-hard hobbyists keep occasional meetings going until the Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Society was established.

I feel that with the history of this being a strong hobbyist activity area for many years, we will hopefully soon be having marine conferences. Being centrally located for a Western Marine Conference, and with Oregon having no sales tax, should make it an ideal location.

Many speakers that have been here, such as Dr. Ron Shimek, Dana Riddle of Riddle Aquatic Laboratories in Kona, HI., LeRoy and SallyJo Headlee of GARF, John Walch - formally of the Aquatic Wildlife Co. and originator of the concept of Reverse Daylight Photosynthesis for refugiums, Stanley Brown - the founder of The Breeder's Registry, Ryan Gent - authority on keeping Tridacna Clams, and others, have expressed that they would like to return as speakers in the Portland area when they were here. A few may no longer be in the speaking circuit, but all are welcome as guests.

More recently, Steve Tyree has been a guest speaker, and earlier this month held the first Northwest Coral Farmers Market in Portland.

Through former association at Marine Conferences, there are other groups that our local club has exchanged ideas with. PSAS(Puget Sound Aquarium Society), SeaBay(Saltwater Enthusiasts of the Bay Area), and MARS (Marine Aquarium Roundtable) in the Sacramento area. It was great to meet some of the folks from Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club at the NW-CFM. So, we are not alone if we choose to eventually have a large conference!

A special thanks goes to Alice Hart, now of PSAS, and to Woody Wood of Seahorse Aquarium, for being instrumental for helping to keep the dream of many hobbyists alive. We have a great President and Board now, along with the greatest bunch of reef hobbyists around! We are just now really getting started... think BIG and great things will happen!:cool:

• 1 month later...

Okay, I need to know before I put something together - would it be wrong to use a moorish idol in the logo? Seeing how this is an aquarium club and those fish generally don't live long in captivity, I can understand that point of view. On the other hand, it would make for a VERY striking logo, and, the hobby is advancing every day. LMK your thoughts on this SOON! Even so, I may not have time to do this. I'll try though.

Moorish_idol.jpg

OK, here's what I've got. I made a few different versions of it just for options. I can't decide which I really like the best... If there's anything you like about one, that you'd like to see added to one of the others, just let me know.

PNWMAS-logo-rogerspringv1.gif

PNWMAS-logo-rogerspringv2.gif

PNWMAS-logo-rogerspringv3.gif

PNWMAS-logo-rogerspringv4.gif

PNWMAS-logo-rogerspringv5.gif

Brandy,

Yes, I should have kept the font the same size on number 2 like I did with number 3. I was trying to see how well it worked with keeping Pacific Northwest on top and Marine Aquarium Society on the bottom (right side up). But to do it, I had to lower the font size or kerning (letter spacing). Really, this wasn't the best solution, just what I threw together last minute as an option. If the overall concept of number two gets the votes, I can make those changes later.

Okay, I need to know before I put something together - would it be wrong to use a moorish idol in the logo? Seeing how this is an aquarium club and those fish generally don't live long in captivity, I can understand that point of view. On the other hand, it would make for a VERY striking logo, and, the hobby is advancing every day. LMK your thoughts on this SOON! Even so, I may not have time to do this. I'll try though.

Moorish_idol.jpg

I like it, but just fyi it's also the logo for Oasis

post-213-141867737327_thumb.jpg