DIY swivel mounted pump

impur

I've only mounted a MJmod to this swivel mount. I encased some magnets in resin to hold the pump wherever i wanted in the tank. Unfortunately the magnets were a little under powered and don't hold, but i've got some more magnets on the way to finish this badboy up.

I was collaborating with Sean (vanz) on this project in the beginning. We had found a swivel for holding handheld shower heads, but it cost $5 or more, and needed a lot of hacking up. This showerhead i found for $2.99 and is a little more compact. Anyway i thought i'd toss up the pics of it. Would be nice if i could find it in black...

Started off with a plastic showerhead

100_0772.jpg

100_0774.jpg

100_0773.jpg

Next i used my dremel to cut off the threads on the showerhead where the 2 pieces are joined.

100_0783.jpg

100_0784.jpg

100_0785.jpg

Resin and casting supplies. I used some smaller Solo plastic cups, worked out to be the perfect size

100_0794.jpg

I encased that piece in some resin with magnets

100_0795.jpg

Next i tackled how to attach the mount to the pump.

1/2" PVC male adapter

100_0786.jpg

Chopped off the threads - a close nipple would work, i just didn't have any on hand

100_0787.jpg

This is the plate on top of the MJ

100_0789.jpg

Cut a hole for the 1/2 nipple to fit thru. I cut the hole so that the nipple goes around the little nub on the pump. Open up an MJ and you'll see what i mean.

100_0790.jpg

100_0791.jpg

I said it before, the magnets found in old computer hard drives are hard to beat for strength. Tear apart an old HD, and there are two magnets in there. Once they are encased in that resin, I don't think there would be a problem inside your tank. Or even just use them for the outside.

That is a cool idea. The wheels are starting to turn in my head about what to do with this idea...

Did you say where you got the swivel for $2.99?

dsoz :)

Yah i finally got my magnets. They will surely work great, its almost impossible to get these ones apart by pulling. You have to slide them apart they are so strong. Hopefully i can get over to Jerry's sometime this week to get another showerhead, then i'll cast them. Just been very busy with my friends wedding on friday and the bachelor party over the weekend.

How is that MJmod working thus far?

• 4 weeks later...

Yah the flow is wide and gentle, but this is pushing close to 2000gph. You can feel my Seio 820 up to about half way across the tank, while you can feel the MJmod all the way at the other side of the tank. And you can see it bounce off that glass wall and create some great chaotic flow.

I thought about the dremel. But i think it would still be tough to make it look nice. The holes are easier and look just as crappy i think. I'm going to try and make a jig for use on my table saw.