Flow opinions for 47x24x12

PowderBlue

I'm down to the last few things I need for the next build. I went with the dcs9000 dc return pump which is about 2100 gph to 2900 gph, I will be running that to a dual return. I'll be housing mainly LPS and zoas, with likely a hdpe sand bed. I'm torn between a gyre xf130 or a RW8 if not 2 rw8s. The gyre looks Nick but at 240 bucks is getting to be expensive. Do you think I'll even need 2 rw8s with the 2400gph Ish return on this size of a tank? I've never had a 3 foot deep tank but it's also very shallow so that's throwing me a curve ball as well. Also if you have an rw8 you want to sell I'm able ears :)

EDIT 48X24X12...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by PowderBlue

With that tank being so short im thinking that with the rw you are going to have a hard time getting the flow without blasting the coral my rw pumps have to be about 4 inches under the water or they suck air. I really think that the gyre is that best option on a shallow thank.

I just added a gyre to my tank, very nice pump! My tank is a 50g cube so I mounted it vertical on the back wall, the flow is very natural and every inch of the tank is covered. I was using 2 Mp40's which I still like, but they were kinda overkill even running them at 20%

• Like 1

Hmmm sacking air sucks haha!

Matty do you think.id be ok with the xf130 or would I need to go with the 150. I'd assuming the 150 just due to the depth of the tank but I'm not sure. I may just toss a couple koralias in it to get it going and play the experiment game with other powerheads. I like the idea and look of the gyre but man its spendy!

Drain will likely be 2 inches. I haven't plumbed it yet, it's still sitting in Dave's garage haha, I bought the house right next door to him. If I could get away with just the return pump I'd be thrilled it looks so much cleaner, but I'm sure I'll need some sort of other internal flow to keep everything happy. My thought was go oversized on the return incase I upgrade down the road and also to help limit the number of powerheads. I'm hoping the pump isn't too much..