Advice to remove Xenia

Zwickm

I mistakenly put a small frag of xenia in my tank a while ago and it's spread throughout. I've cut most off and gave it away but there a pieces that pop up around the tank. Within a month it grows into large colonies and begins encroaching on my other corals.

How the heck do I get rid of this stuff? Even the smallest scrap grows again. It's like a weed. Advice on how to rid my tank of it would be greatly appreciated. It's on rocks with established SPS colonies so can't remove the rock easily.

Thanks!

Fluke tabs work they also get rid of blue cloves and gsp

Also, the fluke tabs are going to be hard on the inverts(from what I have read, no person experiencE)...I'm going to be fluking my tank also pretty soon. The other thing to consider is all the dead matter that will enter the system, Ammonia will undoubtedly go up if you have alot(like me).

I'm really hesitant to use fluke tabs for that reason. I also have gsp which I heard it kills. I'm wondering if I'll just need to use a scalpel to do "surgery" in order to remove every tiny piece, one rock at a time, that it's on....

Forced compliance is an option for all pest removal. it is just a mater of how persistent you are and how much time and effort you are willing to commit.

Yes fluke tabs are hard on the snails I removed mine before treatment. I also remove the gsp and leathers from my system during treatment. I also was diligent about removal as the in my case cloves were dying i was removing them from the system and followed up after treatment with more frequent and larger water changes. I did all this with a large SPS population in my system and did not loose a single one.

Not matter what route you take there is no easy answer. Well except not adding them in the first place but that is hind site and you can only work with what you have. =)

Good Luck

Edited by Jeramy

To quote Jeremy ("TheClark"):  Reefers can fix anything with cyanoacrylite.  I don't think he was necessarily referring to ways to get rid of xenia, but I have heard that if you cut it back and then seal it with reef-safe glue, it will keep it from spreading.  I've never done this myself, but it might be worth a try.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a few question regarding using fluke tabs.

1. Will it effect my LPS'?

2. I have a huge leather that I have had for years, can I pull it off it's rock and put it in another tank?

3. I have a TON of snails Asteria, hundreds of tiny white ones and small black ones. I also have a bunch of hermits and 2 cleaner shrimp will it effect them?

Thanks for the help.  :D

Xenia is like aiptasia not as bad but hard to get rid of maybe even hard than aiptasia.

These can sting your corals to few years ago I had a major fight with these if they get on your main rock your going to have huge problems .

How I got rid of mine was I had to take all my rock out scrub it with a toothpaste then seal the areas with kalk and let me tell you this was not fun but it worked.

This round on my tank I want nothing to do with that stuff. Great for the tank and then can travel across the sand to your rock when you sleep and you wont have nothing to say about it and if you pull them off  to lay seeds parts of it planted.   So kalk paste it. :)

If you can cut them all off at the stem then super glue that might work to never tried that then give that to someone else.

They are amazing for your tank to start up but you have to control these guys they can turn into weeds.

Just happen to be on google watch this guy get red of XENIA never seen this one before :)

EDIT I love the do it yourself things

Edited by StayPuff

• 4 weeks later...