Fish Breeders

Fisher15

Fish breeding is a sometimes boring hobby.  It can take years to get a breeding pair.  I am not into designer fish so my breeders are all natural species.  I have a pair of ocellaris, yellow striped maroons, black saddlebacks, skunks, clarkies, and a pair of black ocellaris.  I also have a pair of blue striped neon gobies and a pair of yellow striped gobies.  Right now the blue gobies and the ocellaris are laying eggs.

I am not very experienced and have only raise one hatch so far.

I like DYI and I built my larval system based on commercial marine systems.  I purchased access to a marine research study on best methods that I am trying to emulate.

The larval system is a BRT (Black round tub) connected to a 55 gal. sump with skimmer.  The outside of the tub is wrapped in two heating pads and insulation to give precise and constant temperature.  It has a center riser and also a bubble ring around the riser.  This causes the BRT to act like a Kreisal tank and keeps the larva off of the sides or bottom.  It looks a lot like a Mercury capsule prior to launch.

Mecury%20Capsule%20003_zpscmrrbbm5.jpg

• Like 2

Killer man, we need more captive raised fish of all kinds. I know Colby, who is a member, breeds clown fish, seahorses, and propagates anemones. But he is rarely on here as he is busy  dealing with a marine science program over in Newport, maybe he will see this. John "Jmanrow" was breeding some Bangais not too long ago so hopefully he will chime in too. 

Thanks for sharing

I started breeding back in 02' and have bred several species since then. What are you breeding and what type of advice are you looking for?

For me the success really came with nutrition and then next temperature. Every species is a bit different though, can't really help you out to much until we know what your working with. 

Cheers! 

I started breeding back in 02' and have bred several species since then. What are you breeding and what type of advice are you looking for?

For me the success really came with nutrition and then next temperature. Every species is a bit different though, can't really help you out to much until we know what your working with. 

Cheers! 

I posted the fish pairs I have.  I am not looking for specific advice but would like to know others that have experience.