16 gallon cube of madness

uhuru

I said goodbye to my 5g Cadlights this weekend and setup this 16g cube made with 3/4" acrylic. This is sort of a "warm up" to getting my 70g setup, as it is setup according to the proper bare bottom method. But I have good and bad news...

First the good part - I was able to do it all in 1 day with the corals in a bucket. Since I was using the same stand I couldn't really work out the plumbing until I moved my 5g out of the way. That was a little stressful but it all worked out. So here are the pics:

DSCN2113.jpg

This dremel rocks. Cut through the stand like butter.

DSCN2115.jpg

The drain on the right is the main drain, and is turned down so that no air gets into it. This is the best way, hands down, to do a drain. 100% silent, and easy to tune. The drain right next to it is the backup drain. The way you set this up is so that just a tiny bit of water trickles down the drain. This maintains an even flow at all times but in case the first one clogs it can take over completely. there is no need to do a durso unless you don't have a choice!

DSCN2116.jpg

Hanging the light proved to me that I suck at DIY. I kept trying to get the toggle bolts into the ceiling until I realized that it's solid wood and several inches thick.

And finally, the system is in place.

DSCN2117.jpg

The skimmer is a PM venturi rated for 100g. I bought it off someone on RC and it came in pieces. The guy returned my money but didn't want the skimmer back. So I used weldon and fixed her up, hopefully she holds together but I am keeping my eye out for an ER or DAS EX1 to replace it. I'm using a GenX 2400 needlewheel pump which replaces the PM venturi. I also added a standpipe, originally it had a gate valve on it but I found it unnecessary and it took up too much space. After 12 hours and almost no bioload, it started forming a very nice head.

DSCN2122.jpg

The venturi on the GenX is horrible, and loud. So I plugged an air pump into it:

DSCN2130.jpg

The next day I came home to a skimmer full of milk:

DSCN2123.jpg

DSCN2129.jpg

DSCN2127.jpg

The only thing it's skimming right now is carbon particles. Why? Well...

The bad news, and the reason you don't see any tank with water pics, is because in my exhausted state I placed a bag of old used carbon in the skimmer output. The carbon released all the dead bacteria and nutrients that were in it. Within maybe 4 hours the whole tank was covered with algae and carbon dust. My brand new white starboard, and white rock racks, were filthy! Then the water became very cloudy to the point where I couldn't see anything. I had no more fresh saltwater! So I made another 30g of RO/DI water and just mixed in the salt a few hours ago. I'm about to do a major water change. I may have to start completely from scratch with all my livestock/rocks. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

some new frags I got from cfm, pics taken under 175w Iwasaki 15K with 2x28w PC Actinics:

Cali Tort & OR Tort from Advanced Aquarium

DSCN2160.jpg

DSCN2161.jpg

ORA GGB & Pink Lemonade Acro from booth from CA

DSCN2163.jpg

DSCN2166.jpg

Pokerstar Monti & Rainbow Monti from Steve Tyree

DSCN2164.jpg

DSCN2165.jpg

This is not from CFM, just a pink seriatopora that is starting to recover from the tank transfer:

DSCN2156.jpg

The other corals I transferred are still kinda brown(sad)

A bad shot of my hector's goby and orange lined cardinal - they enjoy hanging out together

DSCN2154.jpg

Thanks to this forum I found an excellent true perc breeder (Ilham) who sent me a pair yesterday:

DSCN2209.jpg

And here are just some new pics of the corals. This tabling acro I also got from a member (saltwater143) quite some time ago, but it never had purple tips until now.

DSCN2226.jpg

Now if you compare the following pics to the ones I posted a couple weeks ago you can see the corals are settling in nicely:

DSCN2229.jpg

DSCN2230.jpg

DSCN2227.jpg

DSCN2234.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ilham, the clowns are like kids out at the park every day. They're just so playful all the time it's great to watch. The tank was built by Aquatic Systems Design. It's pretty outrageous with the thick acrylic, so I think it matches the "madness" of the whole setup pretty well :) I'm having a lot of fun with this tank....

• 2 weeks later...