When is an AIO no longer sufficient

Salty Pickle

I have been looking into upgrading to a larger reef tank (shhhhhh don't tell my wife, seriously don't). I have been pricing 40-60 gal AIO vs build your owns and I certainly am lured to the ease of assembly and reduced guess work that comes with AIO. I digress, my question is, do you feel that at a certain point that the AIO becomes less effective at sustaining a healthy reef? I can see that my Nuvo10 AIO is very sufficient at maintaining 10 gallons of water. But i wonder if a 60 gallon AIO sump is in the realm of trying to cram to much crap into a small space and if the reef is heavily populated, would that push the AIO past its capabilities (thinking longterm). At which point it would be better to build my own. Thank you for your time, Happy reefing!

I'd have to agree with PowderBlue on this one. There are some larger AIOs that Nuvo makes but when your skimmer is limited (by space it can fit) it really limits your livestock in the long run. If you look at skimmers that fit into the AIOs, most cap out at about 60ish gal for capacity. As most skimmers are overrated on capacity, you are going to be pushing the limits. Having a nicely sized sump lets you get into the nicer, more efficient skimmers and let's you have a nice area for a fuge (instead of crammed into the back with a side light). Plus as we all usually say, more water capacity = more stable.

• Like 1

I have a 20 and love it but yes am going bigger :rolleyes: I thought of the 50 lagoon as I love the footprint. Well after thinking about it decided to go with a tank and sump. I can fit a much bigger skimmer in the sump than I can the AIO. Foot print is almost the same and have a little more water volume with the set up I am going with now.

Good luck!

If you got the space for a Non AIO Then get a full set up with sump! So many more benefits, and much easier to get a sufficent Skimmer.

Yup, I think the main thing you miss out on if you have an AIO tank is the possibility of putting an oversized skimmer on your system.

• Like 1

Lex nailed it, I have a JBJ 30 RL AIO due to space constraints where I'm currently living and I can vouch for that. The best skimmer you can get for an AIO Is a Cad-Lights PLS-50 (not an opinion simply a fact, while many stand behind Tunze the photo evidence of skimate production favors with the PLS-50) and for that skimmer to be your best option isn't much, fighting Cyano or Dino's is [language filter] near impossible (both in which I have done) I have to run allot of GFO To compensate for my skimmer, not to mention growing macro algae is far more difficult in an AIO. If I had more space available I wouldn't be settling for a PLS-50 I would be throwing the biggest Vertex omega possible in my sump.