Mesh Top for rimless tank DIY ideas

Exodus

So I have really enjoyed my Rimless tank but today I lost my favorite fish due to jumping last night :( (This is the 2nd in nearly 5 years) I really care allot more about my fish than the style of the tank to be honest, so before I go out and find another False Perc I need to set something up.

The problem is I Have a JBJ 30 Rimless, though it does come with 2 glass tops, the closest to the front doesn't fit well, and having 2 pieces to carefully remove every time just seems like a pain. I am looking into maybe building a Mesh/Screen top for the tank, but I have to take the 2 front "Rounded" corners into account.  I have seen the Kits at Marine Depot & BRS but have read posts in the past of DIY from Home Depot supplies, any suggestions on how I should go about this taking the 2 rounded corners into consideration, something that won't affect the light, will be easy to remove, and not be a total eye sore?

If you kick up the flow and lots of waves (back and forth), fish will less likely jump out. I have a 50gal rimless, sometimes when I calm the pumps in feed mode, my firefish will explore the surface more and splash in and out. This only happens in feed mode. This is assuming fish is not being harassed or bullied by another fish.

Edited by danlu_gt

just like the Inovative Marine tanks....  rounded glass corners.  They are 90 degree bends in the glass.... 

fortunately i have the old school JBJ nanos that came with a hood.  because of that... i used the little lip at the top to bend an aluminum rod in the shape of the bow front.  then wrapped it in mesh.

some RV supply places sell diy screen corners that are rounded, not sure how well they would match the radius of the corners of the tank but its worth a shot if square corners leave to much of a gap. For mounting it you can go with clips that go on the side of the tank or get some 3/4" strips of acrylic cut and screw them to the top of the screen frame. The rest of the materials can be had at and home supply or hardware store. 

• Like 1

Gil see a photo of the tank here: http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/Tek008/JBJ%2030G%20Cube/20121110_144455.jpg(Not mine) but same thing.

Adam, I would be more interested in hearing about your DIY project on your smaller tank, maybe a picture so I can get an Idea :)

Earthbound, Thank you for the suggestion something I wouldn't have thought about, I will do some searching on the net and see what I can come up with.

If you use the diy screen kits, you can shave the corner pieces round to match the curve. You could also get some clips like these http://m.alibaba.com/product/714673729/steel-Screw-Mountable-Wire-Clip-steel.html?hasRedirected=yand bend the rounded side to fit the width of glass, kinda like the ones the IM tanks use. Even if you buy the screen frames and corners from Home Depot, order the clear screen material from BRS, it doesn't block the light.

• Like 1

If you use the diy screen kits, you can shave the corner pieces round to match the curve. You could also get some clips like these http://m.alibaba.com/product/714673729/steel-Screw-Mountable-Wire-Clip-steel.html?hasRedirected=yand bend the rounded side to fit the width of glass, kinda like the ones the IM tanks use. Even if you buy the screen frames and corners from Home Depot, order the clear screen material from BRS, it doesn't block the light.

I was thinking about rounding out those Corner pieces but I have never picked one up or held it and wasn't sure what material its made out of, or if grinding off a corner would compromise its functionality. 

My buddy up here in Longview has a cnc machine he could probably help design you a acrylic top for it that fits the top exact.

I certainly like the Idea for sure, but just not sure how expensive that would get, I would like the idea of one that would have an indent to sit nicely on the rim of the glass but also have another indent to tuck that rubber line in used for holding the screen into place, any way to get a ball park figure? Clear Acrylic the space needed to cover is roughly 15" X 23 1/2"

The corners are plastic and can be cut or rounded as much as needed and it won't hurt the structure.

Does that Rubber piece that wedges in the frame to hold the screen in place not accounted for in the corners? Or is that just in the sides?

Does that Rubber piece that wedges in the frame to hold the screen in place not accounted for in the corners? Or is that just in the sides?

It's accounted for in the corner but it's on the inside edge so any shaving would still leave that channel open, you would pretty much have to shave it down to nothing to mess up that track.