ARGH!! Tank Leak!

dsoz

So I have had an interesting couple of days. It all started on July 4th after the fireworks were over. When we came home, I went to check the tank before going to bed (maybe feed the candycane if its feeder arms were out). THERE WAS WATER ALL OVER THE FLOOR!!!! Sometime while we were gone, one of the seams started leaking!!! I quickly checked all of the equipment, the skimmer, the overflow, etc. and did not find anyplace that the water was coming from. ARGH!!!! It must be from a seam. Inside the stand is all wet, and the water is dripping down from the inside of the stand. This would be bad enough, but we were planning on leaving to go camping at the beach in the morning. This is a disaster.

Not that I didn’t expect it. The tank is 15 years old, and I probably re-caulked the silicone about 10 years ago (after the first tank leak). Since then, the tank has been moved about 10 times, and in the possession of at least two other people at my work. It has been used for catfish, goldfish, trout eggs, salmon eggs, other critters that students caught in the creek, and who knows what else. That little tank has gone through a lot. I think the last straw was me moving it down stairs to the basement.

So at 11:30 pm, I emptied about half of the water out of it to lessen the stress, said a prayer, and went to bed. I got up early the next morning and found a 33g Rubbermaid tote that only was storing some books. Out came the books, and in went the sand, live rock, and fish. The skimmer went on one side, and the overflow on the other. A quick hang job for the lights, and throw in a powerhead, and we are ready to go camping for two nights.

When I came back from camping today, everything seems to be doing ok. A couple of snails had climbed up the side of the tote, and were on the floor. I think I rescued about five of them. But everything else seems to be doing fine.

Now I need to decide whether I should redo the silicone on my existing tank, or if I should wait to the end of the month when I may have some money to put into a new tank, or get a used tank from someone. I guess I need to start pricing tanks, and looking at the classifieds. I think a 75g would be about ideal at this time, but I don’t know if the budget can afford a new tank.

Tonight I don’t have any time to spend thinking about it. I need to do a quick turn-around and repack. I am going to be gong with my son and his youth-group on a rafting trip down the Deschutes for the next two days. Then I can worry about my fish and their home. They will do just fine in the Rubbermaid tote for the next few days.

Dsoz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow D that sucks!! i hope you get everything figured out' date=' PM me if there is anything i can do for ya.[/quote']

Thanks for the offer. I think everything is stable... for now. The only thing that I have not accounted for since returning from camping is Jaba the lawnmower blenney. But he normally is found on the bottom part of the tank up against a rock, and I can only look from the top down. I have high confidence that he is in there.

Next week is when the work will start! :)

dsoz :)

I think a new 75 is necessary here. You might wait just a te bit as petco will be having their big aga 1/2 off sale in August.

I like your thinking. Also, that is good information to know. :) Thanks! I should go check it out to see if they have a nice 75g that would work for me.

Update- Jaba the LM Blenny is no longer MIA. I spotted him tonight. Also, I noticed that my clowns have started spending a lot of time swimming through the xenia. I wonder if they have started to host it? If they did, should I even bother getting a RBTA? Will they switch hosts? Will they host both? If I do get the larger tank, then the BTA is going to be a must. But with only a 45g, space is limited, and it is already starting to get full with some of the neat frags that I have. Decisions, decisions.

dsoz

• 3 weeks later...
I called, and the person I talked to was not positive about a sale next month, but the rumor is that it will be a $1/g. IDK. I will have to wait and see.

dsoz

Anyone have any new information on this?

I am thinking since All Glass is now part of the Aqueon line that it may be to blow out the "old" tanks.

I have not heard anything from petco yet, but a pet store near me is selling a 75g for $100. If petco does not get on the ball with advertising, I am going to have to spend the $100 for the tank.

I don't want to wait much longer...

dsoz :)

Is it Animal House that is selling them for $100?

Yes it is, but keep your hands off them until I get one! The store in OC has three for $100, but they are just the glass box. They are not reef ready with an overflow box, or holes drilled already.

Check the AH in Milwaukie to see if they have any first. I should have kept my mouth shut. Now everyone will go and get the tank that I was going to buy before I get a chance... :)

dsoz

• 2 weeks later...

First post after lurking for so long (scary)

The sale starts in september, I don't remember the exact date, I can find this out though.

I believe it will be identical to last years sale, AGA tanks up to 55G and specific Oceanic tanks, also can find this out too as well.

First post after lurking for so long (scary)

The sale starts in september, I don't remember the exact date, I can find this out though.

I believe it will be identical to last years sale, AGA tanks up to 55G and specific Oceanic tanks, also can find this out too as well.

What exactly was last years sale on aga tanks? $1 a gallon?

What exactly was last years sale on aga tanks? $1 a gallon?

Thanks for the welcome. :D

It was AGA 20H, 20L, 29G, 40B, 55G for $1/gallon.

It also expanded to Oceanic 30C, 30H. $1/gallon.

All the stands should be on sale too. I will find an exact date today along with a list of tanks for sale. There are a couple of new tanks being carried, one that comes to mind is an AGA 45 gallon. Just like last year I don't believe tanks can be special ordered or rain checked, I do know of a store stocking up though :D

Right after the sale, they usually have another sale, buy the tank, get the stand free. I returned a 55 gallon and got credit for it, and purchased a 72B setup with it.