Calling all divers (scuba)

Blackice

Me and my wife are wanting to become certified divers and would like to now of the best place to go if you have any info please let us know. We live in Dayton so anywhere from Salem to Portland would be best.

Edited by Blackice

I recommend a dive vacation somewhere nice... Like say Cancun or Hawaii. You can do your book work here and do your open water dives there.

In Cancun 3 boat dives ran me $125 per person. So warm you don't even wear a wetsuit!

As far as I know Padi certifications unless they are special verge do not expire. Once your in, your in. PADI is also internationally recognized so IMHO do that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although you can learn some basic skills on a vacation, there are many things covered in a Nationally or Internationally recognized dive school. PADI is a good one. Underwater physiology and physics, dive charts and tables, what to do in an emergency, and understanding tides and how they will affect your dive, are simply not covered.  I worked for the school I was certified in, NASDS which has now merged with SSI (Scuba Schools International), and have been certified since 1972. I know personally of certified divers that did not survive, and it was always due to ignorance. Did you know that you can rupture your lungs and encounter embolism in 10 feet of water diving using compressed air? Not all vacation dive courses will tell you that. Please consider taking a regular course from a recognized school, such as the one Kevin mentioned, PADI. You can't put a monetary value on your life and of your loved ones.   http://www.scuba-doc.com/ageprbs.html (I hope this doesn't scare you off! SCUBA is safe and relaxing when you understand what you are dealing with!)

• Like 1

I got my certs down in corvallis through Eugene Skin Divers (When looking to buy one of the best shops and prices), then there is a good dive shop in tigard and one in aloha but the one in aloha is a little more expensive then most so i stopped going there.

• Like 1

So I just got done talking with the dive group here in WA. He said they have a groups from "HydroSports Dive and Travel" come up and do silo doves with them. He said they are pretty nice and really good to work with. 

Here is a link if you want to check them out. 

http://www.hydrosports.com

It would be a good idea to stop by a few shops your considering, get to know a few people and see what they are like. Your dive shops will have deals on "dive trips" where a group of people will get a discount because so many are going at once. Nice to know the people you go diving with and see if you like the group. 

• Like 1