Meeting Location Feedback!

pledosophy

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which venue did you prefer

• Tualatin Valley Rec Center
    • Lucky Lab in Multnomah
    • Other (please provide suggestions)

I wanted to ask some feedback from those of you that have come and seen some of the speakers PNWMAS has had this year, as to which location you prefer/would like to see future presentations at between Lucky Lab and the Tualatin Valley Center

Let us know what ya think. If you choose "other" please help us out with some suggestions. 

Thanks! 

Personally, I like Lucky Lab. It's cheaper for us to have a meeting there. I like being able to order food. The room is darker so you can see the projector better. It is a bit more conducive to hanging out afterwards. It seems like a more central location for people from the South to get to, since it is right off the 5. 

I'm gonna show up wherever though. I don't mind driving or exploring different places. I appreciate the feedback from everyone! 

Beaverton wasn't a bad drive! I'm fine with driving 30 min! You guys are doing great, do u want ideas of where the meeting should be at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mitchell. Ya, feedback and helpful suggestion about where to have meetings and meeting topics are always welcome. 

I'm making the trip down, it's going to be a weekend trip from now on. 

I'm really glad you enjoyed the meeting so much. Our club does have a great group of people, even better with you there :D

• Like 1

While we are searching for the ideal meeting place, I think something with the roominess of the Nature Center would be great. There was the cost. If we could find something similar,but not so brightly lit and a lower cost (free is perfect) we should go for it!

Pubs are perfect for the 21+ crowd for "Meet & Greets", as these are actually functions outside of PNWMAS. We need to keep in mind that we are a family club and meeting areas should be handicapped accessible. Let's keep searching!

• Like 1

In the past we also tried to alternate meetings for the north and south so that the Eugene and Salem people didn't have to travel so far. I agree Jmanrow about cost. The nature center looked like a great location but free is always a very good price! ???? Also having members host in their home kept it less formal and was a great way to see people's set ups and also keep costs down for the club. I learned so much just buying and selling coral as well as visitng with some of the Lfs owners !

• Like 3

In searching, I have found hotels to be fairly expensive, although great for Marine aquarium conventions and events like the Coral Farmers Market we took part in a few years ago with Steve Tyree.  Banquet rooms that are free to use with our meal purchases have been good in the past.  I will talk to some friends in GPAS (Greater Portland Aquarium Society) about the place they rent for their meetings. Perhaps we could work along with them for some events. They have used an Oddfellows Meeting Hall in the past, and even had a fish show competition a few years ago at their old Sandy Blvd. location. I have not yet been to their new meeting place, but I know Stu Wobbe has. It's a mainly freshwater club, but a few members keep marine tanks.

In the past we also tried to alternate meetings for the north and south so that the Eugene and Salem people didn't have to travel so far. I agree Jmanrow about cost. The nature center looked like a great location but free is always a very good price! Also having members host in their home kept it less formal and was a great way to see people's set ups and also keep costs down for the club. I learned so much just buying and selling coral as well as visitng with some of the Lfs owners !

We have been working on keeping meetings more centrally located in the Beaverton-Wilsonville area.  There will be occasional meetings outside that area, but the majority will be around here.

In the past we also tried to alternate meetings for the north and south so that the Eugene and Salem people didn't have to travel so far. I agree Jmanrow about cost. The nature center looked like a great location but free is always a very good price! Also having members host in their home kept it less formal and was a great way to see people's set ups and also keep costs down for the club. I learned so much just buying and selling coral as well as visitng with some of the Lfs owners !

Looking forward to some Tank Tours of home tanks and Store Hops in the near future! Time to get busy! :)

I love the idea of having meetings at members houses, although, could get a bit crowed if it's anything like the last turnout. LoL. 

I would enjoy meeting at a store in the area as well! Perhaps one of the sponsors? Also, and this is just something I'm tossing out there, what about the possibility of volunteering somewhere in exchange for using a room? Im not sure exactly how it would work out, but for example, the club would have 10 volunteers "help" at the aquarium and in exchange we could use their meeting room for the afternoon. Maybe help cleaning, or something like that? I don't know, just tossing out ideas. 

• Like 1

Sometimes a LFS host will offer a discount to those attending. What hurts their feelings, is when a meeting is hosted there, and no one buys anything. I feel it is common courtesy when you know a store meeting is coming up to probably make a purchase. It's not required, but only fair. Otherwise, after the meeting is over, the guy is probably thinking "never again...".

I can understand that. Maybe we could get 2 or 3 $10 gift cards to that LFS and do a mini raffle, maybe the LFS will throw one in for free. It might promote a purchase of the winners if nothing else. I'm the new guy, so I'm not sure how any of this would work, just thinking of things.