Big time reefer suffers dramatic loss of 1350 gallon tank.

I had been following this tank on Reef Central and was pretty shocked when I saw his post. Really sad. It was definitely one of the most remarkable and meticulously maintained systems out there. He said he was spending about $100k a year on maintenance alone. The tank was also at the point where corals were naturally spawning. I'm pretty sure he intends to rebuild, bigger and better.

• Like 1

Yeah, I read up on the thread on RC.  A lower end seam ruptured emptying the tank contents on the floor.  Luckily he had drains installed which handled most of the water.  They ran around trying to catch as many fish as they could and throw them into holding tanks, but couldn't save more than just a fraction.  The insurance company is only paying for the damage to the house and not the contents of the tank.  He wants to rebuild, but I guess he has to figure out how to build another tank and get it inside since this one was hoisted into the house by crane during some home renovations when the roof was open, I think. 

But yeah, he was crazy with his maintenance.  I guess he was paying to have the glass scrapped twice a day and the tank professionally checked on three times per week.  He said he never missed a day of that schedule for 5 years.  So that's why his bill way 100k for maintenance.  Crazy money.... 

[language filter] that's to bad! I followed his thread from the beginning but haven't kept up on it for a year or more. If I remember the basement was unfinished when he started and he hoisted the tank to the back yard with a crane then took in in through a wall. 

• Like 1