Iiiiinteresting...

andy

I'm sure it covers a 12" square footprint quite nicely when suspend 18" above the tank and I wouldnt say the fixture is total crap as it aesthetically pleasing :)

Who cares about light output quality as long as it looks good-

In all seriousness Im sure for a mixed tank this light might be fine, I just don't keep GSP, Xenia, leathers, softies nor zoas-those were the old days now I am just a stick snob

No more el cheapo stuff for me. That was one of the mistakes I made last time around. The cost of livestock dwarfs the difference in price between junk and good gear. Plus, I've seen cheap LEDs and the disco effect is... psychoactive.

Edited by andy

Disco has more to do with the optics and lay out of diodes in my experiance. To far a spread between diodes and optics that are to narrow will give that spot light effect all the time.

Those look like great fixtures, I'd just be leary of the footprint "marketing" says it covers-Id bet it loses 70% of the par numbers 8-10" off center, but for a nano that won't matter

IMO you just need to be able to see a fixture in action, that is the difficult part-

Good luck brutha-welcome back

Hahahaha

;)

I have to agree with Brad on the BS numbers... AI has always been guilty of way over estimating their numbers and overall footprint coverage.

I have to say that some recent first hand testing with a par meter on the Kessils was shocking to say the least! WAAAAAYYY less than advertised.

But... what do I know I hate LED's and love my good old tubes.

I always find it funny when people come over and ask me how I can grow sps the way I do under just T5's since according to a few it can't be done and I need to switch to leds  :rolleyes:

Edited by Arsonmfg

They've been pushing this back since the promise release date of Black Friday. It's a cool looking fixture. I think the tank mount is going to be $30 and light hanging kit $20. So reasonable prices for the unit and mounts unlike their other lines. I like that they have built in wifi capability. I was really tempted to preorder a few but release date got pushed again and again. Too late now, I have my Reefstar alphas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love MH, but I'm not willing to deal with the downsides -- heat, cost, maintenance. I've never like the flat look of T-5, I need a point source. Fortunately, on the nano I don't have to worry about light penetration and am happy to trade off some PAR for efficiency and controllability. If I was on a bigger tank, I'd probably feel differently... but I'm not ;-)

You should check with some of the local guys who make LEDs andy. Reef star is a sponsor here and will let you try the light and return it if you don't like it. There is also ocean revive I don't know if he has the same return policy. Bombertech is also a genius when it comes to making a setup. the technology had gotten so much better with leds.

We do carry a brand of leds, which has a tile very similar to this. It is does not have the controllablity with out a seperate controller though (for a good reason).

I would look into the type of emitters it has. It might have a "lower" PAR number but what "useful" (PUR) light it has could be more than other brands.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2012/03/pur-vs-par-in-aquarium-lighting.html?m=1