LED Control Necessary?

Exodus

Hello,

So as of recent I’m sick of my AI Nano and looking for a different LED Fixture for my 12g Nano. I have been looking at the Kessil A150W Lights and from what I see they are pretty much a halide replacement option with wonderful reviews. I have been told to go with the A160w being it has the ability to be controlled but that’s another $50 for the light and another $100 for the controller. I’m not too concerned with the aesthetics of simulating dusk to dawn, but what I am concerned about is frying my corals with a (1 size fits all) solution like the A150 as I have no personal experience with that light.  Was just wondering what others might think or if anyone has personal experience with these lights my suggest.

If you use the gooseneck and 90 degree adapter you will have lots of options of height adjustment. I don't think you will have to worry about frying corals though, the 150's are not super intense, if you go with a 350/360 you could definitely fry stuff.

The A160 also has dimmer knobs for manual control. If you ever think your going to get a controller, you could just hold off on the kessil controller and use a RKL or Apex to control in the future. I would lean more towards the 160 for future control and the dimmers.

Dawn to dusk effects don't grow coral any better than on/off, just for visual pleasure.

I have heard both sides on the controller debat simulating dusk to dawn, though I'm no scientist and definatley not nearly experienced in this as many of the people here are, but what I can say is some of the nicest looking tanks I have seen, simply did no such thing a simple on/off. I read a bit more into the A160we Tuna Blue and apparently it is Apex Ready but there is no further info on that, I would be plugging it into my Apex Jr. but not sure just how much control I would have over the lights for that matter but being it is compatible I guess theres no reason why I shouldn't get the 160 instead

Just my two cents but the "nicest Tanks" I have seen have some of the best equipment and like to use\show it, why not use a feature that simulates some nature if you can and enjoy it.

I personally don't ramp any of my lights up or down, I do use the controls to adjust them for actual lighting intensities but not sunset or sunrise, no strictly actinic time either...Just Off and On and I have had many clam spawning events, fish breeding, and a couple corals spawning. I believe you have seen some of my tanks as well and if you have you would know that you can keep and grow all the different corals very well without utilizing a ramping schedule.

Just my two cents but the "nicest Tanks" I have seen have some of the best equipment and like to use\show it, why not use a feature that simulates some nature if you can and enjoy it.

I personally don't ramp any of my lights up or down, I do use the controls to adjust them for actual lighting intensities but not sunset or sunrise, no strictly actinic time either...Just Off and On and I have had many clam spawning events, fish breeding, and a couple corals spawning. I believe you have seen some of my tanks as well and if you have you would know that you can keep and grow all the different corals very well without utilizing a ramping schedule.

Yes, I have seen your tanks and that one by the front door looks amazing! I also was talking to you about this last year wondering what you were using for a lighting schedule and you told me 50/50 10 hours or something similar to that. I had been questioning because my corals grew so slowly under the AI Nano and I was simulating the Dusk-Dawn and using Moon cycle and was frustrated with the results, and I just started asking several people with awesome tanks and they pretty much told me the same thing you did. so I began getting rid of all the individual intervals and slowly moving the last couple up towards the peak to try and not shock the corals(if that makes sense) and now I simply have it on a digital timer that turns on ramps for a bit then reaches its peak and shuts off at 9pm. Ever since I did that and left it alone I have noticed massive growth in comparison to before, those tubs blues you sold me have at least 3X the amount of heads before and the others can't even see the plugs they were on.

Though as the my decision in a new light is because my AI Nano is falling apart and I'm very disappointed in the build quality, and was also shocked talking to AI who didn't even care to troubleshoot or ask me what I figured out after telling them what was going on they knew exactly what was wrong and acted as if it was nothing new and basically gave me the option of buying another one of their products, So having little faith left in my current fixture I was looking at kessil lights but really was thinking I didn't want to spend all the time dialing it in, and giving it neat effects but rather similar to what i have now. My main concern was with the controller was if I just take an out of box LED and drop it over my tank could it potentially be way to intense for my corals was all i was wondering

Ah ...Yes, I did burn a few corals with the original Kessil 150. It was and still is over a 29 gallon and it replaced a compact fluorescent light so the new intensity that could not be dialed in caused a couple montis to bleach out pretty quick. I have since moved the light higher up and everything has been happier. I suppose in retrospect if I could get an affordable controller for it I would have. 

If you really think you need it I might be persuaded to let you borrow my lighting meters.

IMO. Most controllers on the market wont provide the "thriving" I'm talking about. Though there are lots of tanks which look great and do have growing corals, using or not using controllers. The thing that sets controllers apart on the market is the fashion in which they dim the emitters. Not using proper tech to dim LEDs, allow for shifting of the spectrum of light given to the coral, so they receive less useful light during the dimming phase, less light, less growth.

Kinda like a dimmer wall switch for a incandescent bulb in a house. The color will go warmer when dimming...

There are dimmers on the market, which provide the same quality of light when dimming and in this case, you provide more useful light even during the dimming phase of the light schedule. This equals thriving corals IMO. More like nature!

Kessil/Apex does not have the correct tech for this dimming I'm talking about, which is why I said IMO it's not worth it and with Kessil/Apex  it's just for our viewing pleasure, but provides little benefit for the corals.

http://aquariumopinions.com/2013/07/07/aquarium-led-lights-controllers-what-is-best/