Considering buying a controller for my aquarium

timmylucas

Apex is a great choice and can always be upgraded. Lots of guys on here run them and can help you get it going.

I run a reefkeeper lite which works fine until you start wanting more control, but it does all the basics. I pre-ordered Archon to upgrade it which will make it more like an Apex.

Can't really go wrong either way, I'd just keep your eyes open and you may be able to snag a used one and save some money.

Unlike Bluez, my experience with a Reefkeeper wasn't a good one and their customer service was pretty lacking also. On the other hand I can't say enough about Neptune. The Apex Jr. would be a good start but is very limited by the number of outlets and lack of connections compared to the full Apex. Definitely agree, look for used but you gotta be quick, they sell very quick.

It all depends on what you want to do with the tank. Long term an Apex is a great choice for expandability.

if you are just doing just something simple, an Apex can definitely be overkill and confusing...depending on the person.

For failsafes and security, it is impossible to beat.

I'd like to be able to monitor my temperature, heater failure, something to control my lights and send me mobile updates or alarms. So I think the apex jr would be a good start for the smaller system I have.

So if anyone has a used system that wants to sell it let me know! I know it's unlikely but worth a shot to see if anyone has one available.

Are Reefkeepers Mac compatible? Or is only the Apex line Mac compatible?

They were not Mac compatible when I owned mine. I was told by the manager I spoke to at Digital Aquatics when I was having my issues, that they had no intention of changing that. Apex controllers are Mac compatible.