Can anyone spare a cup of sand to seed my new aquarium?

clownfish

Hi all,

I just moved to Portland and started a little 30 gallon tank. Totally stoked! I've set everything up and just need a little live sand to activate the bacterial cycle and add some micro fauna. Does anyone have a cup they can share with me? I promise to reward you once my tank gets going :).

Take care,

Patrick

You can just use some live rock and a source of ammonia to get your tank going. If you want to supplement that, you can use Dr. Tim's "One and Only Live Nitrifying bacteria for cycling saltwater aquaria," which works better in my experience than a cupful of sand from an established tank.

Edited by Lexinverts

I think some established sand and rubble from a reputable tank would seed things much better than any in a bottle remedies, more diversity. I am not in your area but i am sure there is a nearby reefer to lend a hand with the sand, maybe Jeff at Cuttle Fish and Coral.

I think some established sand and rubble from a reputable tank would seed things much better than any in a bottle remedies, more diversity. I am not in your area but i am sure there is a nearby reefer to lend a hand with the sand, maybe Jeff at Cuttle Fish and Coral.

I guess it depends what your goal is. If you are in an emergency and need to cycle a tank quickly, like in setting up a quarantine tank because of an illness in your DT, or replacing a broken tank, etc... nothing cycles faster than Dr. Tim's. I keep a bottle on the shelf for such emergencies.

If you are setting up tank from scratch and going slowly (like you should), then, you're right, having some sand from an established tank is probably the best idea.