Wave maker placement

SeanS

My apologies if this thread contains no criticism for Micah, Kevin, the BOD, VVB, or anyone else. I just have an honest to gosh question about the runnings of a reef tank.

Long story short: 30 gallon cube, wp25 was too much, wp10 was too little, 2xwp10 seems to be just about right. However, I can't seem to get that perfect placement that will give me heavy random flow up top for sps, and moderate flow along the lower half for lps. Suggestions?

• Like 2

IME with a 120g with two wp40's I have one at the top left of the tank that points towards the middle/front of the glass. My other is at the back right of the tank, a little lower on the wall and it points down a smidge behind the rocks.

I keep one on Else and one on W1. I change the two every once and awhile. I also have mine plugged into a powerstrip, so on occasion I turn one off, then the other off and the first one back on. So far it seems to be working fairly well for me.

My return is run through a scwd so that helps alternate the flow as well.

I do have a 30g I am using to grow some frags. I have a WP40 on that one too. It is in the top right corner and blows at the glass on W1. It handles a 30g just fine.

Placement will depend some on your rock work. I try to get mine off the back wall a touch so I can push water through there. I try to make a circle of sorts.

HTH

Where are they placed now? It's hard to say without a FTS. Mine aim upward so I can keep them on full tilt without hosing everything down below down. I am using wp40s though so a bit different.

The second wp10 is brand new, so the placement is changing hourly. Currently they are on the back wall, opposite sides of the tank, halfway down, pointed slightly outwards and up.

IME with a 120g with two wp40's I have one at the top left of the tank that points towards the middle/front of the glass. My other is at the back right of the tank, a little lower on the wall and it points down a smidge behind the rocks.

I keep one on Else and one on W1. I change the two every once and awhile. I also have mine plugged into a powerstrip, so on occasion I turn one off, then the other off and the first one back on. So far it seems to be working fairly well for me.

My return is run through a scwd so that helps alternate the flow as well.

I do have a 30g I am using to grow some frags. I have a WP40 on that one too. It is in the top right corner and blows at the glass on W1. It handles a 30g just fine.

Placement will depend some on your rock work. I try to get mine off the back wall a touch so I can push water through there. I try to make a circle of sorts.

HTH

So, is one mounted on the back, and the other on the side wall? I'm liking the sound of that.